Is an Engineering Educational background required for NASA Astronauts?

In summary, the speaker is planning to attend university in the fall to obtain a B.A degree in astrophysics. They have always been interested in space and want to become an astronaut. They are worried about the requirements for NASA, but it is not necessary to have an engineering background. The current set of astronauts have a variety of backgrounds, including aerospace engineering, biology, and physics. NASA does prefer degrees in aerospace engineering and the life sciences, but a degree in astrophysics does not rule someone out.
GravityFoxx
Hi I will be attending University in the fall to obtain a B.A degree in Astrophysics.

Ever since I was little, I've wanted to be an Astronaut and have loved space, and obviously, still do.

However, I'm a bit worried, it seems that every Astronaut has an engineering College Education.
What exactly if any engineering education is a requirement or extremely strong preference for NASA when selecting Astronaut candidates?

Also I should add that when I get out of University I have already planned on joining the Air Force, for pilot-in-command hours, so I have that covered already.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, they don't require an engineering background, but it would be helpful.

Back on topic, the biographies of the current set of ascans are at this page, http://www.jsc.nasa.gov/Bios/ascanbio.html. Of the nine, I count four aerospace engineers, three biologists/medical doctors, one systems engineer, and one with a masters in physics. IIRC, there have been a few astronomers and physicists among previous sets of ascans. Based on past selections, NASA definitely prefers degrees in aerospace engineering and the life sciences. Or both. A degree in astrophysics does not rule you out. It apparently does make it a bit tougher.

Off-topic discussions have been moved to [thread=403233]this thread[/thread].

Thank you for your interest in becoming an astronaut and for pursuing a degree in astrophysics. While an engineering education is not a requirement for becoming a NASA astronaut, it can certainly be beneficial in certain aspects of the job. NASA looks for a diverse range of backgrounds and skills in their astronaut candidates, and having a strong understanding of engineering principles can be helpful in understanding and operating complex systems in space.

However, a degree in astrophysics is also highly valued by NASA as it demonstrates a strong understanding of the scientific principles related to space exploration. Additionally, your plan to join the Air Force and gain pilot-in-command hours will also be beneficial as it shows your ability to handle high-stress situations and operate complex machinery.

Ultimately, the most important factor in becoming a NASA astronaut is having a strong academic background, relevant experience, and a passion for space exploration. As long as you continue to excel in your studies and gain valuable experience, you have a chance at becoming a NASA astronaut. Best of luck in your academic and career pursuits.

1. What is the educational background required for NASA astronauts?

The educational requirements for NASA astronauts vary depending on the specific position, but a Bachelor's degree in a STEM field (science, technology, engineering, or mathematics) is typically required. Many astronauts also have advanced degrees in their field of study.

2. Is an engineering degree necessary to become a NASA astronaut?

No, while an engineering degree is not required, it is highly recommended. NASA looks for a diverse range of skills and backgrounds in their astronaut candidates, so having a degree in a STEM field such as engineering can be beneficial.

3. Can I become a NASA astronaut with a non-engineering degree?

Yes, as mentioned before, NASA values a diverse range of backgrounds and skills in their astronaut candidates. While an engineering degree is not required, having a degree in a STEM field is highly recommended.

4. Are there any specific engineering disciplines that are preferred for NASA astronauts?

There is no specific engineering discipline that is preferred for NASA astronauts. However, having a background in aeronautical or aerospace engineering can be beneficial for those interested in becoming a pilot astronaut.

5. Can I become a NASA astronaut without a college degree?

No, a college degree is required to become a NASA astronaut. However, there are various pathways for individuals without a college degree to join NASA, such as becoming a technician or working in a support role. Additionally, individuals can apply for the Astronaut Candidate Program with a minimum of a Bachelor's degree.