Is any form of animal torture OK?

In summary, the conversation discusses recent brain-related experiments involving animals and the moral question of whether any form of animal torture is justified if it benefits humanity. The speaker also raises the issue of defining what constitutes as "torture" and provides a link to a website with pros and cons of animal testing. The conversation is ultimately closed due to its contentious nature and the mission of the platform.
SamRoss
Gold Member
I've been deeply disturbed by recent brain-related experiments that involve driving around insects, rats, and probably other animals like remote-controlled toys. No doubt this will lead somehow to some benefit for humanity. To cut straight to the point, do you feel (because this is a moral question with no objective right or wrong answer) that any form of animal torture is OK if it will benefit humanity somehow? Is there no line?

Physics news on Phys.org
SamRoss said:
To cut straight to the point, do you feel (because this is a moral question with no objective right or wrong answer) that any form of animal torture is OK if it will benefit humanity somehow? Is there no line?
Well let's start with your definition of "torture". What, exactly, is it, because the way you use it in a sentence makes it seem very broad.

Likes BillTre and Bystander
I found this list of pros and cons with respect to animal testing:

https://animal-testing.procon.org/

I feel that this is too contentious a topic to discuss here at PF. Our prime mission is the help students with questions in STEM subjects and as such discussion of animal testing exceeds that boundary and so the thread will be closed. However, I'm sure there are other sites on the internet where you can pose this question and get some new perspective on this.

Thank you all for participating here.

Jedi

Likes BillTre, phinds and Bystander

1. Is any form of animal torture ever justified?

No, animal torture is never justified. It is a cruel and inhumane practice that causes unnecessary suffering to innocent creatures.

2. What is considered animal torture?

Animal torture can include any deliberate act that causes physical or psychological harm to an animal, such as hitting, burning, cutting, or withholding food and water.

3. Are there any situations where animal torture is allowed?

No, there are no situations where animal torture is allowed. It is considered a form of animal abuse and is punishable by law in many countries.

4. Is there a difference between animal testing and animal torture?

There is a difference between animal testing and animal torture. Animal testing is a regulated and monitored practice used for scientific research and development, while animal torture is intentionally causing harm for the sake of inflicting pain or suffering.

5. What can I do to help prevent animal torture?

You can help prevent animal torture by supporting organizations that advocate for animal rights, reporting any instances of animal abuse or neglect, and choosing to adopt from shelters instead of supporting industries that exploit animals for profit.