Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is biology a science?

1. Dec 11, 2005 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I believe I have found proof that infact, biology is NOT a science.

My proof is as followed:

1) There are too many good looking chicks who are biology majors

This is self-explanatory

2) Biology is in the news too much (evolution)

People are not interested in science. People are interested and talk about evolution. Thus, Biology can't be a science.

3) People do not recoil when you say "biologist"

People are amazed and in awe upon uttering the fact that you are a "physicist" or "chemist" (and a few others, except geology, no one is scared of geologists). This is not true of biologists.

4) There is too much memorization

Where are the formulas? Science without formulas is like Italians without spaghetti.

5) Nothing explosive is made

Explosive things are the secret "coolness" of science. Biology doesnt like to blow things up. I do.

6) People don't mispell "biology"

Ok I guess this only is a problem with physics (seriously people, there is only 1 'i' in physics and no 'k')... but I'm still using it. Tough.

7) Biologists seen on tv are women much of the time, not men with receeding hairlines, thus, biology isn't a science

Only men with receeding hairlines do science. Except one of my chemistry professors, but that's just because he's awesome.

I shall approach my university with this proof of biology not being a science so that I may replace it with a journalism class.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2005 #2
    :approve: Yep, one of the many perks of being a physics major, people's jaws drop when you mention it. I know my parents brag about it all the time. :biggrin:

Anyways, biology and chemistry are just primitive degenerates of almighty physics.

4. Dec 11, 2005 #3

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since when does being a loser is requirement for a scientifist. You have to know how to mix pleasure with business and biology major guy know how to do this. Therefore they are smatter
    You forgot cancer, drugs, etc. It is not biology fault if it talks about thing that are real and has an effect on people. It is not as if people care if a new planet is discovered. :wink:
    I always get people to awe when I say I am doing a PhD in microbiology. People also thin I will make tones of money. If you said your doing a PhD in physics or math they would think you are idiot without future. :tongue2:
    there is formula in biology. You did not look hard enough. Try to calculate the growth rate of a bacteria without a formula. We have to calculate the time that seperate two specie with mutation rate.
    Try to give a cigarette to a frog.
    I have seen people mispell biology. You did not look hard enough.
    TV is not reallity. My old and my current supervisor have receeding hair line. 50% of the male falculty in my department have receeding hairline. Again you are not looking hard enough.

In conclusion, your research was poorly done and don't blame biology if it is cool and you are not.

5. Dec 11, 2005 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

One of my professors use to say something to the effect of "If you're ever on an airplane with someone you want to talk to, tell them that you are a physicist. If you don't want to talk to them, say you are a 'nuclear physicist' and if you REALLY don't want to talk to them, say you are an 'atomic physicist' ".

6. Dec 11, 2005 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Way to suck the fun outa this thread :frown:

7. Dec 11, 2005 #6
    Yeah, thanks a lot ian.

8. Dec 11, 2005 #7

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My pleasure. That's what scientist do.

9. Dec 11, 2005 #8

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Yah I mean come on, when Entropy comes in, it should be fairly obvious nothing intelligent is going to be said in this thread :P

10. Dec 11, 2005 #9

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Does anyone know where my high school physics Ap study guide is....

11. Dec 11, 2005 #10
    Bha! I didn't need it and I got a 4.

12. Dec 11, 2005 #11

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I got a 1

basically because i dropped at the semester and all we ever did was rocket launches.

I wanna see how much i was suppose to know by high school.

13. Dec 11, 2005 #12

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Physicists are harmless, and if you are not scared of geologists, you really need to rethink this.
    You should be more than a little cautious of anyone who:
    -Cannot go for a quiet walk without taking a sizable hammer.
    -Will happily undermine an unstable cliff face or landslide foot in persuit of a good ammonite, with no regard to their safety, or safety of anyone around them.
    -knows precisely how hard your skull is in relation to the mineral samples on his desk/in his pocket.
    -Can tell you what kind of fossil you'll leave, and how future palaeontologists would interpret it.

14. Dec 11, 2005 #13

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I'm not scared, the kinetic energy of a comet will fix the geologist good.

15. Dec 11, 2005 #14

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Goodness Gracious me! Why, it's right here...
    Hmm, you doodle a lot.
    ...lots of exploding thngs...
    I guess you liked Mariah Carey.
    ...Whoop! no, MC goes boom... that's' kinda sick

16. Dec 11, 2005 #15
    Try searching floral formula in google
    What about genetics, you should be able to predict phenotypes, genotypes for which you cant memorise all the possible combinations.
    Biology is a convergence of physics and chemistry.
    The part about cute chicks is true though, coz of all the science sections in our school my class(Bio group) has got good looking chicks though very few in number.
    Biology helps to clean up the damage after the bomb blasts i.e. medicine
    Check bioweapons like anthrax, etc wouldnt have been possible. Biology creates silent killers using very little of resources but causes a lot of damage.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2005
  17. Dec 11, 2005 #16

cronxeh

Gold Member

Well thats it, ian, you not coming anywhere near my frogs, reptiles or turtles :grumpy:

You evil.. evil man!

18. Dec 11, 2005 #17

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is that supposed to be fun, or ignorant? :devil:
    and.. ever heard of exploding frogs? :wink:

19. Dec 11, 2005 #18

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Its GE to us university students.

You non-physicists have no idea :P

20. Dec 11, 2005 #19
    Most non-physicists have no idea, but neither do I, being a 17 year old annoying geek who is, at times, still rather desperately trying to understand special and general relativity. It's so fun to try an explain it to people when you haven't got a clue yourself either...

21. Dec 11, 2005 #20

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Tell me how special and general relativity impacts on today's society, how it benefits our world? And how many people who say biology isn't a science, would say that string theory is?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?