Is "Centon" copyrighted? (metric clocks)

• Thread starter Algr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Clocks
In summary, the term "Centon" is not copyrighted and can be found in various products such as hitch covers and electronics. It is also not commonly used as a unit of time, but the concept of decimal time has been explored in the past. However, the use of a 2.4 hour "hour" in the metric clock may not be practical for human use.
Algr
Is the term "Centon", as a unit of time used in Battlestar Galactica copyrighted? How would I go about finding this out?

I was thinking about how people would deal with measuring time on other planets when I got to thinking about decimal time and what the units were called. Using seconds and hours would be confusing. It seemed to me that 1/100 of a day should be called a centon. At 14 minutes long, (on Earth) this would be a useful measurement for organizing the day. We already use roughly this unit, as most things happen on the half or quarter hour.

Physics news on Phys.org
Algr said:
copyrighted? How would I go about finding this out?
No. Google it --- you'll find "Centon" hitch covers, "Centon" electronics, ad nauseum. Time bases on other planets? Why base ten?

I'm aware of those, but I didn't see Centon used as a unit of time anywhere. The 2.4 hr "hour" in the metric clock strikes me as problematic since it doesn't really match anything that humans do; You need three digits for just about anything.

1. What is "Centon"?

"Centon" is a brand name for metric clocks that are designed and manufactured by a specific company.

2. Is "Centon" a copyrighted term?

Yes, "Centon" is a copyrighted brand name owned by the company that produces metric clocks.

3. Can I use "Centon" in my own products?

No, you cannot use "Centon" in your own products without permission from the company that holds the copyright.

4. Are all metric clocks considered "Centon" clocks?

No, only the clocks produced by the specific company that owns the "Centon" brand name can be referred to as "Centon" clocks.

5. How can I tell if a metric clock is a "Centon" clock?

The best way to determine if a metric clock is a "Centon" clock is to look for the brand name on the clock itself or on the packaging. If it is not labeled as "Centon", then it is not a "Centon" clock.