1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is changing from physics to mathematics possible?

1. Jan 21, 2014 #1
    I have finished my undergrad in physics and am thinking about going into a postgrad in mathematics. Since I did not major in mathematics how hard is this going to be?Is it going to be very different?I have done a lot of reading on my own and I think I may be able to cope and catch up anything I have not learnt. Should I be worried about making this decision?I'm hoping to pick a topic in either differential geometry or dynamical systems and ergodic theory. How foreign will this be for me coming from a physics background?Thanks

-James

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2014 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Have you taken any proof-based courses? Without them, you're not really ready for a math grad program.

4. Jan 21, 2014 #3
    Yeah I did the first 2 years of Math Major and then Engineering Math after that. But the engineering math was not as rigorous.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook