Is Charge Conserved in Proton-Helium Collision Reactions?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ismaili
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Charge
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
ismaili
Messages
150
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The problem is:
A proton collides with a Helium nucleus. What is the minimum lab kinetic energy needed to produce an anti-proton?


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I suppose that helium nucleus is at rest in the lab frame.
I'm wondering about the final particles of this reaction.
Originally, I guess the result is a proton, an anti-proton and the helium nucleus, but in this way, the charge is not conserved. So I guess the final particles are two protons , an anti-proton and helium nucleus, but my friend told me that the standard answer in the text is that the final state is with one proton, one anti-proton and one helium nucleus.
So, the charge can be not conserved in a reaction?
(This means that the interaction is not electromagnetic?)

Thanks for all ideas.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Charge is certainly conserved and your friend is wrong. Your guess is correct. Notice you also need to conserve baryon number. Producing a proton, anti-proton pair is really your only choice.
 
Yeah, the energy for particle-antiparticle production is always [tex]2mc^2[/tex], where m is the mass of one of the particles.