FredGarvin said:
Reiki is in the top ten scams for me. My who is involved in the alternative methods doesn't give it much weight either, mostly because there has been no serious attempt (that she knows of) to do any kind of proper study on it's effects or benefits. From people I have talked to that practice it, I am certainly not convinced. Perhaps they are their own worst PR agents. WHat I do know is that they parrot all of the things that just raise red flags for me.
I don't think Reiki masters are scamsters. I think they
do believe it works.
I went through a level I Reiki initiation several years ago. I wasn't told in advance, what to expect, so the standard trick of planting a psychological bias wasn't used. After the "initiation" where the Master supposedly opens up your chakras (or something similar) there was a brief "So, what did you experience?" session. Somewhere in the middle of this, the Master asked us whether we saw colors (I didn't see or feel anything much). Some people answered that they did see specific colors. But the fact that the color thing was raised only partway through the discussion rather than at the beginning indicates to me that this wasn't a designed scam. However, I think more people spoke of seeing colors after the idea was brought up than before. But it was a small group (around 10 people), and not suited to generating statistics.
I tend to think of most of the more popular alternative medicines as not being active scams, but being more like religion, where psychological bias is at the root of belief.
For whoever's interested, I propose as an experiment, the standard Reiki technique of "feeling one's aura". If you slowly bring your palms together, there will be a separation where you will feel what I can only describe as a very weak repulsion between your palms - as though you were compressing a bubble between your hands. It helps to close your eyes and concentrate on the feeling in your palms. Rubbing your palms before starting is also said to help. I can feel this repulsion at about about a 2 inch separation.
What is the nature of this feeling ? I'm quite sure it isn't psychological. I can, with not as good success as some others, feel another person's hand when blindfolded. I believe the sensation is based on something physical. I don't think I'm sensing a thermal gradient, though that would be a strong guess. It feels like it might be electrostatic in nature. Might it just be excess charge that builds up on your palms ? The 'rubbing palms' effect could play a role in positively influencing thermal gradients as well as excess charge.
Since Reiki Masters claim that you are feeling the Ki, I think an understanding of this sensation would go a good way towards a debunking of the Ki.