Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is chirality operator defined in odd dimensions?

1. Jul 31, 2008 #1
    As far as I remember, I heard from someone that the matrix
    also known as the chirality operator in 3+1 dimension is not defined in odd dimensions. I do not understand why that should be the case. Suppose I am in the 4+1 dimension and I choose one more gamma matrix suitably to close the Clifford algebra in five dimensions and then define analogously to the 4 dimensional case, the operator
    as my chirality operator. Will that be a mistake?
    What about six dimensions? Can I define my chirality operator by multiplying the required no. of basic gamma matrices in that dimension?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2008 #2
    The STA basis vectors, which is also a clifford algebra, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space-time_algebra), I believe map to the matrix respresentation you are using. With that basis, the value:

i = \gamma_0\gamma_1\gamma_2\gamma_3 = -\gamma^0\gamma^1\gamma^2\gamma^3

where i is the usual pseudoscalar for the space, and i^2 = -1. Not knowing exactly what your matrix representation is, I'd guess you have:

i\gamma^0\gamma^1\gamma^2\gamma^3 = -\gamma^0

If that's the case, then it doesn't appear to me that this is a very useful operator in 3+1 dimensions.

Before thinking about the 4+1 case, what matrixes are you using for [itex]\gamma^{\mu}[/itex] in the 3+1 dimensional case?
  4. Jul 31, 2008 #3

Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?