Substitution in the following supersymmetry transformation

In summary, the book discusses Supersymmetry transformation and the use of killing spinors. The substitutions Freedman makes are unclear to me, and I'm not sure what the gamma matrices are supposed to do.
PhyAmateur
I was reading in this book: Supergravity for Daniel Freedman and was checking the part that has to do with Extremal Reissner Nordstrom Black Hole. He was using killing spinors (that I am very new to).

I was understanding the theory until he stated with the calculations:

He said that the Supersymmetry transformation (21.49) in his book is:

$$\delta \psi_\mu^i=(\partial_\mu +1/4 \gamma^{ab}\omega_{\mu ab})\epsilon^i -1/8\sqrt{2}\kappa \gamma^{ab}F_{ab}\epsilon^{ij} \gamma_\mu \epsilon_j$$

He then started "It is convenient to work with the chiral projections of the two Majo-rana spinors. We thus use the up/down position of the R-symmetry indices, now denoted by **(A, B=1, 2)**, to specify the chirality. Thus, for the SUSY transformation parameters,
we have"

$$\gamma_* \epsilon^A= P_L \epsilon^A = \epsilon^A$$ and $$\gamma_* \epsilon_A= - P_R \epsilon_AA = - \epsilon_A$$ where $$\gamma_*$$ is the usual $$\gamma_5$$ and $$P_L, P_R$$ are projection operators to define chiral parts.

So back to the first equation that I wrote here: He substituted it with:
$$ \delta \psi_{tA} = \partial_t \epsilon _A +1/2 e^{2U} \partial_i U\gamma^i \gamma^0 \epsilon_A -1/4 \sqrt{2}\kappa e^u \partial_i A_t \gamma^i \epsilon_{AB} \epsilon^b =0$$

It is specifically the substitutions that I could not follow, where did the gamma matrices in the last equation come from?

Concerning the spin conection I found them to be: $$\omega^{0i} = e^U \partial_iU e^0$$ and $$\omega ^{ij} = -dx^i\partial_jU+dx^j\partial_iU$$ and they each have 2 indices while in the supersymmetry transformation equation the omega has 3 indices. I know I am missing something and I hope you can help me understand the substitution better.

Physics news on Phys.org
are the 2 of the 3 indices, spinor indices? then this can explain your problem by [itex]\omega_{\mu (ab)} \rightarrow \omega_{\mu \nu} [/itex]

However I hope someone else [who has studied the book] can help you more

Likes PhyAmateur
oh what u wrote makes sense, what about the gamma matrices? We started with $$\gamma^{ab}$$ and then we had $$\gamma^{0}\gamma^i$$?

how does freedman define the [itex]\gamma^{ab} [/itex]?
In general I see the gamma coming from the omega_[0,i]

In "Our Conventions" page he used it in what follows (Please see attachment) and then he uses it without really defining it or at least I missed its definition some place.. I have not read the book I actually picked up the equation of supersymmetry transformation in order to work on the RN black hole. I could use any reference if you have one in mind in order to solve this problem.. Though this gave me an insight of what's going on, my problem was with the very changes that took place between the given equations and what happened to it after substitutions. Concerning the part where you said that you saw that the gamma coming from omega_[0,i]. May you please elaborate on this one?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    4.7 KB · Views: 457
I checked the paper you gave me, in eq (4.3.27) I noticed that when omega(0,0i) that corresponding gamma matrices split into 2 gammas with respective (0) and (i) upper indices but when omega (0,ij) this is not the case. Any clue of what's going on?

The spin connection is antisymmetric in ab. So the contraction with the gamma's only gives ab=0i=-i0 and ij=-ji contributions (where i=\=j), hence the factor of 2.

Likes PhyAmateur
Aha I see, and concerning the separation gamma matrices? Any ideas?

What do you mean by that? Up to a factor depending on conventions one has gamma_{0i} = gamma_0 gamma_i because of the Clifford algebra; these two gamma's anticommute.

Likes PhyAmateur
The Clifford algebra and all gamma matrix identities you need are introduced in chapter 3.
This chapter also develops a lot of the spinor properties needed. Especially the Fierz (rearrangement) identity is used often in the chapters leading to the introduction of actual supergravity.

That's about all I can help you with, I only read through it one time (up to chapter 11). I'm starting to work through the text just now.

Likes PhyAmateur

1. What is substitution in supersymmetry transformation?

Substitution in supersymmetry transformation refers to the process of replacing one variable or term in an equation or expression with another, while still maintaining the overall structure and symmetry of the original equation.

2. Why is substitution important in supersymmetry transformation?

Substitution is important in supersymmetry transformation because it allows us to manipulate and simplify complex equations while still preserving the symmetries that are essential to the theory.

3. How is substitution performed in supersymmetry transformation?

In supersymmetry transformation, substitution is typically performed by replacing terms or variables with their corresponding superpartner terms, which have opposite spin and other quantum properties. This maintains the symmetry of the equation and allows for further analysis and calculations.

4. What is the purpose of substitution in supersymmetry transformation?

The purpose of substitution in supersymmetry transformation is to make equations more manageable and to reveal underlying symmetries that can provide insight into the fundamental nature of particles and their interactions.

5. Are there any limitations to substitution in supersymmetry transformation?

While substitution is a useful tool in supersymmetry transformation, it is not always possible to perform substitutions that maintain the symmetry of the original equation. In some cases, other techniques must be used to analyze and manipulate equations in supersymmetry theory.