Is Conservation of Energy Demonstrated in Particle Motion from A to P?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Dumbledore211
Messages
111
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement



A particle P of mass m is attached to one end of a light string of natural length l whose other end is attached to a point A on a ceiling. When P hangs in equilibrium AP has length 5l/3. Show that if P is projected vertically downwards from A with speed √(3gl/2). P will come to instantaneous rest after moving a distance of 10l/3

Homework Equations



E.P.E= λx^2/2l, v^2=u^2+2gh, P.E= mgh

The Attempt at a Solution


Here, I have been asked to show that the total distance traveled by the particle is 10l/3 which we know is true if we think logically about it because when I take the particle up at A it travels 5l/3 and when it comes back to it's equilibrium position it again traverses 5l/3. When we lift the particle the work done in this case is P.E=mgh and when we project the particle vertically downwards then the work converts P.E into K.E and E.P.E where the equation of velocity is v^2=u^2-2gh → 0=u^2-2gh→ u^2=2gh. Should the total equation for the conservation of energy look like this that describes both the particle's action of going up and coming down
P.E= E.P.E + K.E
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I do not understand you explanation. The particle is not "taken up at A" and it does not travel 5l/3. The problem says that the entire length of the spring is 5l/3 in equilibrium, which a different statement.

Anyway, all you need here is to compute the total mechanical energy initially and the total mechanical energy at max elongation.
 
Shouldn't the equation of conservation of mechanical energy look like this P.E= E.P.E + K.E
mgh=λx^2/2l + mv^2/2
 
When I equate the whole thing like mgh=λx^2/2l + mv^2/2 taking velocity=√(3gl/2) I don't get h= 10l/3 why??
 
I am not sure what λx^2/2l means. Is it (λx^2)/(2l) or is it (λx^2/2)l? And what is λ anyway? This does not look like stiffness in Hooke's law.