Is Cosh x > 1 True for All Values of x?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jules18
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
Jules18
Messages
100
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


True or false?

Cosh x > 1 for all x

The Attempt at a Solution



the answer is true, and I'm not sure why. if h is a coefficient, then I'm pretty sure I can think of some values of x and h that would be < 1.
For instance, if h=1 and x=[tex]\pi[/tex]/3

What does the question even mean?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Jules18 said:

Homework Statement


True or false?

Cosh x > 1 for all x

The Attempt at a Solution



the answer is true, and I'm not sure why. if h is a coefficient, then I'm pretty sure I can think of some values of x and h that would be < 1.
For instance, if h=1 and x=[tex]\pi[/tex]/3

What does the question even mean?
cosh is short for hyperbolic cosine. h is not a parameter.

This function is defined as
[tex]cosh(x)~=~\frac{e^{x} + e^{-x}}{2}[/tex]

Edit: no i in exponents

You might need to write the right side of the equation above as a Maclaurin series to show that cosh(x) >= 1 for all x.
 
Last edited:
jakncoke, by Exp[x] do you mean ex where e is the constant that's approx. 2.718 ?