Find all values such that the inequality is true

• Thread starter JOATMON
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, if you have an equation with two inequalities on the left-hand side, and you want to solve for the unknowns on the right-hand side, you can try to flip the inequalities. This will simplify the equation and allow you to solve for the unknowns.
JOATMON
Mod note: Moved from a technical math section, so missing the homework template.
This is for an Intro to Analysis course. It's been a very long time since I've taken a math course, so I do not remember much of anything.

=============
Here is the problem:For the inequality below, find all values n ∈ N such that the inequality is true:

(n2 + 2n +3) / (2n3 + 5n2 + 8n + 3) < 0.025.============================
Here is my attempt at the problem:Looking at the following set

{n ∈ N: (n2 + 2n +3) / (2n3 + 5n2 + 8n + 3) < 0.025}We want to find the lower bound of this set.Suppose A denotes the above set, then we haveA= {n ∈ N: (n2 + 2n +3) / (2n3 + 5n2 + 8n + 3) < 0.025}Since the above rational function can be reduced to 1/(2n+1) we have1/(2n+1) <0.025Where we get n>19.5. Since the lower bounds of the set are 19.5, 19.4, 19.3... And so on, this set is bound below by the natural number n=19. Therefore, the above inequality holds true for all n ∈ N greater than or equal to 20.==========
If you can only just tell me what topics I need to review to answer this correctly, I would appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
what is n2,n3?
for example if n=1, n2=1 and n3=170000 you can make the inequality true...
[itex]\frac{1+2+3}{2 \times 170000 + 5 + 8 +3} = \frac{6}{340016}= 0.00001764622 < 0.025[/itex]
and so n=1 is keeping the inequality

ChrisVer said:
what is n2,n3?

Sorry. I didn't check to see if the format changed once I copied and pasted my problem:
==============================================================

Here is the problem:For the inequality below, find all values n ∈ N such that the inequality is true:

(n2 + 2n +3) / (2n3 + 5n2+ 8n + 3) < 0.025.============================
Here is my attempt at the problem:Looking at the following set

{n ∈ N: (n2+ 2n +3) / (2n3 + 5n2 + 8n + 3) < 0.025}We want to find the lower bound of this set.Suppose A denotes the above set, then we haveA= {n ∈ N: (n2 + 2n +3) / (2n3 + 5n2 + 8n + 3) < 0.025}Since the above rational function can be reduced to 1/(2n+1) we have1/(2n+1) <0.025Where we get n>19.5. Since the lower bounds of the set are 19.5, 19.4, 19.3... And so on, this set is bound below by the natural number n=19. Therefore, the above inequality holds true for all n ∈ N greater than or equal to 20. Thus A= {20, 21, 22, 23,...}

I don't see the purpose of all those "steps" before reducing the rational function (which you should probably show in more detail).
JOATMON said:
Where we get n>19.5
Okay (showing the steps wouldn't hurt).
JOATMON said:
Since the lower bounds of the set are 19.5, 19.4, 19.3... And so on
What is the relevance of those numbers?

Once you have n>19.5 you can directly conclude that n>=20, and write down the set of solutions.

One method that might help with the simplification is to flip the inequality.
##\frac{ n^2 +2n+3}{2n^3 + 5n^2 + 8n+3} < .025 \equiv \frac{2n^3 + 5n^2 + 8n+3}{ n^2 +2n+3}>40##
Which as you pointed out can be written as
##2n+1 > 40.##
And you already have the solution.

Likes PeroK
Be careful: to do that you have to check that the two sides cannot be negative. This is easy to do here, but it is a necessary step.

1. What does "Find all values" mean in this context?

In this context, "find all values" means to determine all possible numbers or variables that satisfy the given inequality.

2. How do I know which values to look for?

You can determine the range of possible values by solving the given inequality for the variable. This will give you an idea of what values the variable can take on in order for the inequality to be true.

3. Can there be more than one solution for the inequality?

Yes, there can be multiple values that satisfy the inequality. It is important to find all values in order to have a complete understanding of the solution set.

4. What is the best way to solve for multiple variable inequalities?

The best way to solve for multiple variable inequalities is to isolate one variable on one side of the inequality and then solve for the other variable on the other side. This may involve using algebraic manipulation and solving for each variable separately.

5. Can I use a graph to find the values that satisfy the inequality?

Yes, you can use a graph to visualize the values that satisfy the inequality. You can plot the inequality on a coordinate plane and look for the regions that satisfy the inequality. However, it is always important to also confirm the solution algebraically.