Show that the graph is convex for all values of ##x##

In summary, @anuttarasammyak is saying that we need to minimize x^2+3x and that this is at x=-1.5. The minimal value of x^2+3x is -2.25 and the minimal value of e^{x^2+3x} is 1/e^{(9/4).}
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Kindly see attached
Relevant Equations
differentiation
1686629535288.png

Part (a) no problem...chain rule

##\dfrac{dy}{dx}= (2x+3)⋅ e^{x^2+3} =0##

##x=-1.5##

For part b,

We need to determine and check if ##\dfrac{d^2y}{dx^2}>0##

##\dfrac{d^2y}{dx^2}=e^{x^2+3x} [(2x+3)^2+2)]##

Now any value of ## x## will always give us, ##\dfrac{d^2y}{dx^2}>0##

The other way/approach would be to pick any two points on the curve and check whether the straight line joining the two points lies under/over the curve to ascertain convex property.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let me follow you.
[tex]x^2+3x=x(x+3)=(x+3/2)^2-9/4[/tex]
Its minimum is -9/4 at x= -3/2 where ##y=e^{-9/4}## which is also an only minium for y of
[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow -\infty}y=\lim_{x \rightarrow +\infty}y=+\infty[/tex]

Last edited:
Likes chwala
anuttarasammyak said:
Let me follow you.
[tex]x^2+3x=x(x+3)=(x+3/2)^2-9/4[/tex]
Its minimum is -9/4 at x= -3/2 where ##y=e^{-9/4}## which is also an only minium for y of
[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow -\infty}y=\lim_{x \rightarrow +\infty}y=+\infty[/tex]
Boss,
Are you certain of the minimum value ##\left[-\dfrac{9}{4}\right]##? or i am reading the wrong script! Ok seen what you meant. We have to be careful with the english here :biggrin: the minimum is actually the value ##[e^{-\frac{9}{4}}]##.

You can always use WA to check a solution:
1686664386913.png

You misunderstood what @anuttarasammyak has written.

In order to minimize ##e^{x^2+3x}## we need to minmize ##x^2+3x## which is at ##x=-1.5.##
The minimal value of ##x^2+3x## is therefore ##-2.25.##
The minimal value of ##e^{x^2+3x}## is thus ##1/e^{(9/4)}.##

All this happens at ##x=-1.5.##

Last edited:
Likes chwala
fresh_42 said:
The minimal value of ##x^2+3## is therefore ##-2.25.##
Typo: the minimal value of ##x^2 + 3## is 3. I'm sure you omitted x in the second term.

Mark44 said:
Typo: the minimal value of ##x^2 + 3## is 3. I'm sure you omitted x in the second term.
Thank you. I corrected it.

1. What does it mean for a graph to be convex?

A convex graph is one in which all points on the graph lie above the line connecting any two points on the graph. In other words, the graph curves upward and does not dip below the line connecting two points.

2. How do you show that a graph is convex?

To show that a graph is convex, you must prove that for any two points on the graph, the line connecting those points lies entirely above the graph. This can be done by using the definition of convexity and mathematical techniques such as derivatives or the second derivative test.

3. Why is it important to prove that a graph is convex?

Proving that a graph is convex is important because it indicates that the function represented by the graph is a convex function. Convex functions have many useful properties in mathematics and are commonly used in optimization problems.

4. Are there any other ways to show that a graph is convex?

Yes, there are other ways to show that a graph is convex. One method is to use the convexity criterion, which states that a function is convex if its second derivative is non-negative for all values of x. Another method is to use the convexity-preserving operations, which are mathematical operations that preserve convexity.

5. Can a graph be convex for some values of x but not for others?

No, a graph cannot be convex for some values of x but not for others. The definition of convexity requires that the graph is convex for all values of x. If there are any values of x for which the graph dips below the line connecting two points, then the graph is not considered convex.