1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where x, y, and z are unkown variables, find all values for a and b for which

1. Jan 25, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Where x, y, and z are unknown variables and a and b are parameters, find all values a and b for which this system has (a) no solution (b) infinitely many solutions, and find the solutions (c) a unique solution, and find the solution when a=b=1.

matrix=[2 -1 1 a; 1 1 2 1; b 3 3 a] (where each ; denotes a new line in the matrix, so the matrix is 3 rows by 4 columns. And btw it is an augmented matrix).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't really know where to start! I know I have to somehow get the system into REF first, but it seems impossible because of the variables. I know that for (a) I have to somehow get a line that is something like [0 0 0 a] or [0 0 0 b] where a/b is not zero.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It's not "impossible", just requires a bit of algebra.

[tex]\begin{bmatrix}2 & -1 & 1 & a \\ 1 & 1 & 2 & 1 \\ b & 3 & 3 & a \end{bmatrix}[/tex]
    1a) swap the first two rows
    1b) Subtract 2 times the new first row from the second row
    1c) Subtract b times the new first row from the third row
    That gives
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 & 1 & 2 & 1 \\ 0 & -3 & -3 & a- 2 \\ 0 & 3+ b & 1 & a- ab\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
    Can you continue? The algebra gets complicated but not "impossible".

Alternatively, you could start by determining the values of a and b that make the determinant 0 or not 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook