Is current measured in Watts or kW?

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about an equation involving current and voltage. The question asks whether the current is measured in Watts or kW, to which the response is that power is measured in Watts. The conversation then moves on to a different question about calculating the current in a transformer, with the correct equation being I_p V_p = I_s V_s. The final answer is determined to be 1927.7 Amps, with some minor discrepancies.
JosephF

Homework Statement

I'm using the following equation:

Is Vs = Ip Vp

Is the current measured in Watts or kW?

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

n/a

Physics news on Phys.org

well power is measured in Watts, not current.

Ok. I'll show you the question and hopefully I've gone in the right direction.

Homework Statement

A power line supplies electrical energy to a transformer in a manufacturing plant.
The input voltage to the transformer is 11,000V. The transformer changes this to 415V for use in the manufacturing plant. The power input to the transformer is 800kW.

i. Calculate the current in the secondary coil of the transformer, stating any assumptions you have made about the transformer.

Homework Equations

[tex]

I_p V_p = I_s V_s

[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Assuming 100% efficency in the transformer.

x / 415 = 800,000 / 11,000

x = 30.181 (3dp) kW

I think I'm using the right equation but have I got my units mixed up?

Thanks,

you are using the right equation except that you have substituted the power as the current!
you need to get the primary current using P=IV
then you can use that equation =]

i get 1927.7 Amps, is this correct?

I also got 1927.7108...

Thanks for your help Rory :)

Excellent!
No worries JospephF =]

1. What is the difference between watts and kilowatts?

Watts and kilowatts are both units of power. The main difference is that a kilowatt is equal to 1000 watts. In other words, a kilowatt is a larger unit of measurement than a watt.

2. Is current measured in watts or kilowatts?

Current is not measured in watts or kilowatts. Current is measured in amperes (A), which is a unit of electric current. Watts and kilowatts are units of power, which is a measure of how much energy is being used per unit of time.

3. Why is power measured in watts and kilowatts?

Power is measured in watts and kilowatts because these units are used to express the rate at which energy is used. By measuring power, we can determine how much energy is needed to perform a certain task or to power a device.

4. Can watts and kilowatts be used interchangeably?

No, watts and kilowatts cannot be used interchangeably. As mentioned before, a kilowatt is equal to 1000 watts, so they are not equivalent units of measurement. It is important to use the correct unit of power when making calculations or comparisons.

5. How can you convert watts to kilowatts?

To convert watts to kilowatts, you can divide the number of watts by 1000. For example, 5000 watts would be equal to 5 kilowatts (5000/1000 = 5).