Is d(x,y) = |x^3 - y^3| a Valid Metric in X?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter mynameisfunk
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Metric
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
mynameisfunk
Messages
122
Reaction score
0
Prove or disprove d is a metrix in [tex]X[/tex]:
[tex]d(x,y)=|x^3-y^3|[/tex]

OK, 3 conditions to meet:

(i) [tex]d(x,y)>0[/tex]
(ii) [tex]d(x,y)=0[/tex] iff [tex]x=y[/tex]
(iii) [tex]d(x,y) \leq d(x,r) + d(r,y)[/tex] for any [tex]r \epsilon X[/tex]

the first 2 are obvious and I have solved this by proving all of the cases:

[tex]r \leq x \leq y[/tex], [tex]x \leq r \leq y[/tex], etc.

My problem is that I know there is a better proof that is much shorter. My professor did it in class but I still had gotten the problem correct so didnt write it down. Any suggestions on a simpler way to do this?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
iii is applying the triangle inequality for real numbers, which is a metric. here is a proof of that: http://math.ucsd.edu/~wgarner/math4c/derivations/other/triangleinequal.htm
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I think joshyxc1979 has misunderstood the question. The link he provides gives a proof that the usual metric, d(x,y)= |x- y|, satisfies the triangle inequality. That says nothing about whether this new metric satisfies it.

mynameisfunk, try using the fact that [itex]|x^2- y^3|= |x- y||x^2+ xy+ y^2|[itex].[/itex][/itex]
 
ok.
[tex]|x^3-y^3| \leq |x^3-r^3| + |r^3-y^3|[/tex] gives
[tex]|x-y||x^2+xy+xy^2| \leq |x-r||x^2+xr+r^2| + |r-y||r^2+ry+y^2|[/tex]
since we know the usual metric |x-y| holds, we need to show that,
[tex]|x^2+xy+y^2| \leq |x^2+xr+r^2| + |r^2+ry+y^2|[/tex]
Now I am stuck, I am not sure If I am allowed to turn this into
[tex]|xy| \leq |xr|+|ry|[/tex]?
If I did, this wouldn't eve hold true. Also, since it is not true, I cannot add [tex]|xy| |xr| |ry|[/tex] to the terms to get squares...
 
For anyone still looking for the solution:

|a + b| <= |a| + |b|

d(x,y) = |x^3 + y^3| = |(x^3 - r^3) + (r^3 - y^3)| <= |x^3 - r^3| + |r^3 - y^3| =
d(x,r) + d(r,y)