Is eight months out too early to apply for industry positions?

In summary, it is advisable to start applying for industry positions early, especially in a competitive job market. This will give you time to test out the labor market and also be honest about your current contract end date during interviews.
uby
I am currently in a post-doc position which will end in eight months. I intend to remain in this position for the remaining duration in order to finish my current project, get a publication, and move on.

How early is too early to start applying for industry positions? It's my impression that companies which present an offer usually want you to start in 4-6 weeks. I wouldn't want to start for another 32 weeks, plus I'd likely need a few weeks to facilitate relocation especially if changing coasts.

I don't want to be in a position where I might need to decline an offer due to a conflict in the start date. On the other hand, given the state of the economy, I can't help but be wary of postponing the search until a couple months from the termination of my current position.

Any advice would be helpful :)

Physics news on Phys.org
uby, any meaningful advice here would depend on what field are you completing your post-doc position, and what particular industry positions are you planning on applying.

That being said, from what I understand, a post-doc is in effect similar to a contract job, and having worked on contract before, I would recommend applying for industry positions early to "test out" the labour market (I have had experiences where I would send out resumes and not receive an interview for that position until a month after applying).

It's also worth pointing out that if your prospective employer asks you during the interview when you are able to start, you can be honest and state that you are currently completing your contract by a certain date. Many employers are flexible and will take this into consideration.

1. Is eight months out too early to start applying for industry positions?

No, eight months is not too early to start applying for industry positions. In fact, it is recommended to start researching and applying for positions at least six to eight months before you plan to start working in the industry.

2. What should I do if I am interested in applying for industry positions eight months before graduation?

If you are interested in applying for industry positions eight months before graduation, you should start researching companies and job opportunities in your field of interest. You can also network with professionals in the industry and start building relationships with potential employers.

3. Will applying for industry positions eight months before graduation give me an advantage?

Yes, applying for industry positions eight months before graduation can give you an advantage as it shows your interest and dedication to starting your career in the industry. It also gives you more time to prepare and apply for a larger number of positions.

4. Is it possible to secure a job offer eight months before graduation?

Yes, it is possible to secure a job offer eight months before graduation. However, it ultimately depends on the job market, your qualifications, and the specific company's hiring timeline. It is always good to have other backup options in case the job offer falls through.

5. How can I make the most out of the eight months before graduation to improve my chances of getting hired by an industry?

You can make the most out of the eight months before graduation by networking, gaining relevant experience, and improving your skills and qualifications. You can also attend job fairs, workshops, and career events to learn more about the industry and make connections with potential employers.