Is Electric Toothbrush better then regular toothbrushes?

In summary, after discussing the topic of electric toothbrushes vs regular toothbrushes, it has been concluded that electric toothbrushes are better for dental hygiene. This is supported by the fact that dentists recommend them and studies have shown that they are more effective in reducing plaque and gingivitis. Some may argue that flossing is more important, but using an electric toothbrush in addition to flossing can greatly improve dental health. Overall, the general consensus is that electric toothbrushes have a clear advantage over regular toothbrushes.
SidnSutton
Hi Everyone!

I'm wondering.. Is Electric Toothbrush better then regular toothbrushes?

Can you please share thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
SidnSutton said:
Is Electric Toothbrush better then regular toothbrushes?
I find electric better -- I've been using one for years. Every dentist I've consulted has recommended electric over manual.

Absolutely better. I had a lot of teeth problems before getting a quality electric brush. Now in the past 5 years no cavities. It's been the difference for me.

SidnSutton said:
Hi Everyone!

I'm wondering.. Is Electric Toothbrush better then regular toothbrushes?

Can you please share thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance.

You ought to ask this question to your dentist.

From talking to my own dentist, and from my own personal experience, an electric toothbrush (I have a Sonicare) is definitely better, especially in cleaning the back side of teeth which is usually difficult to get at with a regular toothbrush.

Zz.

Consumer Reports is not exactly a peer-reviewed journal, but this article does reference a set of clinical studies:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2015/08/electric-toothbrush-vs-manual/index.htm

In the past, Consumer Reports has said electric and manual toothbrushes are equally effective as long as you brush teeth thoroughly for 2 minutes, twice a day. But an analysis of 56 studies published in 2014 by the international evidence-based research organization Cochrane found that electric models may have a slight edge.

Compared with manual toothbrushes, electrics reduced dental plaque 21 percent more and gingivitis (i.e., inflammation of the gums) 11 percent more after three months of use, the team from Cochrane found.

More than half of the studies Cochrane researchers looked at involved rotating, oscillating electric toothbrushes featuring heads that spin swiftly in one direction and then the other. Other studies examined sonic toothbrushes that have vibrating brush heads; powered brushes that move side-to-side but don’t rotate; ones with tufts that move in different directions; as well as types that attempt to dislodge plaque via a mild electrical charge. The researchers didn’t draw conclusions about the best kind of brush.

My dentist told me that "my gums would thank me" if I used one. And I do.

I also have a sonicare. The reports from my dentist have been better since I got it. I haven't always been good about flossing but have been in the habit again and the reports are better with flossing. If you were forced to pick one or the other i would say keep flossing. As far as less cavities go, you can't get any less than what I have.

Its way better than any regular toothbrush. :biggrin:

Once you go electric you're thinking to yourself "why didn't I do this earlier?".

Electric toothbrush wins, hands down, bar none, no competition. Case closed :)

Last edited:
Likes davenn and Averagesupernova

1. Is electric toothbrush better for my oral health?

Yes, electric toothbrushes have been shown to be more effective in removing plaque and preventing gum disease compared to regular toothbrushes. The rotating or vibrating motion of the electric toothbrush can reach areas that are difficult to clean with a manual toothbrush.

2. Are electric toothbrushes more expensive than regular toothbrushes?

It depends on the brand and features of the electric toothbrush. Some can be more expensive than regular toothbrushes, but there are also affordable options available. Keep in mind that investing in a good quality electric toothbrush can save you money in the long run by preventing oral health issues.

3. Is it necessary to use an electric toothbrush if I have good oral hygiene?

No, it is not necessary to switch to an electric toothbrush if you already have good oral hygiene habits and are comfortable with a regular toothbrush. However, an electric toothbrush can provide a deeper clean and may be beneficial for those with orthodontic appliances or other dental conditions.

4. How long should I brush my teeth with an electric toothbrush?

The recommended brushing time for both electric and regular toothbrushes is 2 minutes. Most electric toothbrushes come with a timer to help you brush for the appropriate amount of time.

5. Can I use an electric toothbrush if I have sensitive teeth?

Yes, there are electric toothbrushes specifically designed for those with sensitive teeth. These toothbrushes have different settings and brush heads that can provide a gentler cleaning experience. However, it is important to consult with your dentist before switching to an electric toothbrush if you have any concerns about your oral health.