Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is Electric Toothbrush better then regular toothbrushes?

1. Mar 14, 2017 #1
    Hi Everyone!

I'm wondering.. Is Electric Toothbrush better then regular toothbrushes?

Can you please share thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2017 #2

strangerep

Science Advisor

I find electric better -- I've been using one for years. Every dentist I've consulted has recommended electric over manual.

4. Mar 14, 2017 #3
    Absolutely better. I had a lot of teeth problems before getting a quality electric brush. Now in the past 5 years no cavities. It's been the difference for me.

5. Mar 15, 2017 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You ought to ask this question to your dentist.

From talking to my own dentist, and from my own personal experience, an electric toothbrush (I have a Sonicare) is definitely better, especially in cleaning the back side of teeth which is usually difficult to get at with a regular toothbrush.

Zz.

6. Mar 15, 2017 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Consumer Reports is not exactly a peer-reviewed journal, but this article does reference a set of clinical studies:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2015/08/electric-toothbrush-vs-manual/index.htm

7. Mar 17, 2017 #6
    My dentist told me that "my gums would thank me" if I used one. And I do.

8. Mar 18, 2017 #7

Averagesupernova

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I also have a sonicare. The reports from my dentist have been better since I got it. I haven't always been good about flossing but have been in the habit again and the reports are better with flossing. If you were forced to pick one or the other i would say keep flossing. As far as less cavities go, you can't get any less than what I have.

9. Mar 29, 2017 #8
    Its way better than any regular toothbrush. :biggrin:

10. Apr 17, 2017 #9
  11. Apr 17, 2017 #10
    Once you go electric you're thinking to yourself "why didn't I do this earlier?".

Electric toothbrush wins, hands down, bar none, no competition. Case closed :)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted