Is Epicyclic an Accurate Term for the Moon's Orbit Around the Sun?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Minki
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Epicyclic Moon
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Minki
Messages
27
Reaction score
1
Hi, A quick clarification question. Is epicyclic a correct description for our moons path around the sun. I can only find references to epicycles in a historical context.

Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Minki! :smile:
Minki said:
I can only find references to epicycles in a historical context.

Epicycles are an approximation … the number of cycles gives you the order of the approximation.

The only actual epicylces I know of are what are usually called planetary gears, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epicyclic_gearing :wink:
 
Focus on what it means for an orbit to be epicyclic and you can answer the question yourself.

example of a modern use.

But perhaps you are thinking that, maybe, the Moon's orbit (in, say, the reference frame of the Earth-Moon center-of-mass) traces out some sort of complicated scribble rather than a simple ellipse?