Is Euclid prerequisite to Archimedes?

• Thread starter bguidry17
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Archimedes
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in reading the works of Archimedes and Euclid before graduating high school. It is determined that although Euclid is technically a prerequisite for Archimedes, the speaker already knows enough Euclidean geometry to read Archimedes. The conversation also mentions the value of reading classic texts and the speaker's recent understanding of tangent lines and circles.
bguidry17
Hi, I am a high school student interested in physics/math. I decided I wanted to read the Works of Archimedes (or at least start) before graduating. For some reason, it seemed that Euclid was prerequisite to Archimedes, and I wanted to read Euclid anyway, so I started Euclid and am about a third of the way through. I understand it pretty well (although it takes an hour to figure out one page sometimes). Then it hit me that I don't really have to finish all of Euclid before starting Archimedes. So, is Euclid prerequisite to Archimedes?

Physics news on Phys.org
technically yes, but practically you probably already know enough euclidean geometry to red archimedes. try it.

Okay. And I assume that it is the same for Apollonius of Perga. By the way, thank you mathwonk for putting a lot of time and effort on this site. I am sure I'm not the first kid to say that your posts (especially your "who wants to be a mathematician" thread) are very helpful.

Will do.

Wow... Great post and a great thread. Those guys were truly geniuses. I don't hear much about Apollonius of Perga. Is his book a valuable read? I recently read that part of the Elements concerning tangent lines, and it confused me for a little while until I figured out what he was really saying. Now often when I see a circle I think of how the angle it makes with a tangent line is the "smallest possible angle", and that an infinitely small change in the angle makes the line cut the circle. I'm sure there are a lot more interesting things for me to learn, as I am just a precalculus student.

1. Is Euclid a prerequisite for studying Archimedes' work?

No, Euclid is not a prerequisite for studying Archimedes' work. While Euclid's work on geometry laid the foundation for Archimedes' work, it is not necessary to have knowledge of Euclid's work in order to understand and study Archimedes' contributions to mathematics.

2. Do I need to have a deep understanding of Euclid's Elements to understand Archimedes' principles?

No, a deep understanding of Euclid's Elements is not necessary to understand Archimedes' principles. While some knowledge of Euclid's work may enhance one's understanding of Archimedes' principles, it is not a prerequisite.

3. Can I skip studying Euclid and go straight to studying Archimedes' work?

Yes, you can skip studying Euclid and go straight to studying Archimedes' work. While it may be helpful to have some background knowledge on Euclid's work, it is not necessary to fully understand and appreciate Archimedes' contributions to mathematics.

4. Is knowledge of Euclid's work essential for understanding Archimedes' contributions to physics?

No, knowledge of Euclid's work is not essential for understanding Archimedes' contributions to physics. While Euclid's work did have an influence on Archimedes' principles, it is not a prerequisite for understanding his work in the field of physics.

5. Can I study Archimedes' work without any prior knowledge of geometry?

Yes, you can study Archimedes' work without any prior knowledge of geometry. While some familiarity with geometry may be helpful, it is not necessary to have a deep understanding of the subject in order to study and appreciate Archimedes' contributions to mathematics and physics.