Is F = Δp/Δt Equal to F = ma in This Algebra Question?

  • Thread starter Thread starter JoshuaOB
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Algebra Formula
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 1K views
JoshuaOB
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hi all. Am I correct in that dt = Δt?
Thankyou!

Homework Statement


Show that F = [itex]\frac{Δp}{Δt}[/itex] is equal to F = ma

Homework Equations


a = [itex]\frac{Δv}{Δt}[/itex]
p = mΔv

The Attempt at a Solution


F = [itex]\frac{Δp}{Δt}[/itex]
F = [itex]\frac{mΔv}{Δt}[/itex]
F = ma
 
Physics news on Phys.org
JoshuaOB said:
Hi all. Am I correct in that dt = Δt?
Thankyou!

Homework Statement


Show that F = [itex]\frac{Δp}{Δt}[/itex] is equal to F = ma


Homework Equations


a = [itex]\frac{Δv}{Δt}[/itex]
p = mΔv


The Attempt at a Solution


F = [itex]\frac{Δp}{Δt}[/itex]
F = [itex]\frac{mΔv}{Δt}[/itex]
F = ma

Δ usually means a finite difference. You can replace Δ with d in the limit where the difference goes to 0. In this case, I think they probably should have used d to begin with. So yes, I think that should be ok.
 
My apologies, they did use d to begin with. I typed it incorrectly.