1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is factoring just random trial and error?

1. Apr 27, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How does one know x^4+x^2+1=(x^2-x+1)(x^2+x+1)?

How does one get to that step?

I can find the roots of x but that doesn't seem to help. Is it be random trial and error?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

One knows that x^4+x^2+1=(x^2-x+1)(x^2+x+1) by multiplying out the right side! But I suspect that was not your question. Your question really is "how does one factor x^4+ x^2+ 1 if you do NOT know that factorization in advance?"

Notice that there are no ODD powers of x in the expression. Replace "x^2" by "y" so that you have the quadratic y^2+ y+ 1. Rewrite that as (y^2+ 2y+ 1)- y= (y+1)^2- y so that the first is a "perfect square". Think of it as the "difference of two squares" so that it can be factored as [itex][(y+1)- \sqrt{y}][(y+ 1)+ \sqrt{y}][/itex]. One wouldn't normally do that because of the [itex]\sqrt{y}[/itex] but since y= x^2, [itex]\sqrt{y}= x[/itex] and we have [(x^2+1)-x][(x^2+1)+x]= (x^2-x+1)(x^2+x+1).
  4. Apr 27, 2007 #3
    Nice trick. I wonder how many of those tricks are there and which book contains most or all of them?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?