Is foul language the New Normal ?

• Lingusitics
  • Thread starter Mr. Robin Parsons
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Language Normal
In summary, Mr. Parsons, it seems that you feel that Michelson/Morley and Sir Oliver Lodge were not able to fully appreciate the potential of the third alternative.

Is foul language the New "Normal"?

• I experience it, all the time, everywhere

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • I experience it, in the workplace

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • I experience it, at home

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I experience it, at only in restricted places (examples please)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • I experience it, only sometimes

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I experience it, not at all

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Is appropriate for these forums

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Is NOT appropriate for these forums

Votes: 5 25.0%

• Total voters
Sorry kenikov, but I would have to agree with Andy on this one.

I agree that there are people who appear to take it better, that is the manner of television broadcast, (the ability to edit helps too) but, as andy, and any true(r) espionage novel, will tell you, the mind has limitations in it's ability to with stand certain elements of communication.

Sadly though, I do find that Foul language is bifuracted in it's usage, sort of a love/hate relationship with the words use, by it's author/user. Bridges the ideas of "just Foul Language" and crosses into "Verbal/mental Abuse" a little to easily

That kind of game sort of leads to an opportunity for a Sly sort of abuse, that has some 'digs' to it, none the less.

Not the kindest way to play, with words. (thoughts/ideas, peoples brains/emotions)

Science news on Phys.org
Yes, everyone does have a weak spot, so what stops them from finding the insulter's own weak spot and eat away at it?

Everyone feels pain. Pain is much more prevalent and hurtful through violence. Serious injury, or even death can occur through violence.

All I am saying is, that violence is worse than being sworn at. Many of you would rather be mocked than shot.

Originally posted by kenikov
Yes, everyone does have a weak spot, so what stops them from finding the insulter's own weak spot and eat away at it?
Everyone feels pain. Pain is much more prevalent and hurtful through violence. Serious injury, or even death can occur through violence.
All I am saying is, that violence is worse than being sworn at. Many of you would rather be mocked than shot.

So kenikov, the choice is now yours, a life time of mockery, or shot in the leg, non-lethal, non-permenent injury, once...which would you choose?

Hvae you heard the stories about soldiers who have been shot and still faught on regardless of the fact that they have been shot. Yet how many soldiers can withstand the Mental Torture methods that are used by interogators.

Andy, interrogators use violence as well in war. They will torture you, and violence is just as common as verbal abuse.

If it was just words, they wouldn't break in war.

Apparently you haven't heard of "White Noise", it's psychological effects have studied, and apparently it is an effective tool of torture for some prisoners. That is in complete absence of any physical violence.

After 1 week at mercedes i can say that it was just like any normal garage, all of the mechanics use many expressive such as Fvck, eg, "that anti roll bar is fvcked" i would go into more detail but it would take far too long. They are very profesional there and would never use any obscenities infront of a customer. The best thing is that i was put in control of a £90,000 car, that's a CL 55, a very very nice car.

Originally posted by Andy
After 1 week at mercedes i can say that it was just like any normal garage, all of the mechanics use many expressive such as Fvck, eg, "that anti roll bar is fvcked" i would go into more detail but it would take far too long. They are very profesional there and would never use any obscenities infront of a customer. The best thing is that i was put in control of a £90,000 car, that's a CL 55, a very very nice car.

Find that kinda 'funny' to say it that way, as from when I had to "Be Professional" there was no cursing, anywhere.

When i say professional i mean that they get the job done in the most effecient way possible whilst making sure that everything that they have worked on is done correctly, just because some (all) of the workers choose to curse when they are chatting to each other or expresiing their work doesn't mean that they arent professional. If you where to ban swearing in the work place then i feel that the good working relatiuonship between the workers and the management will wear very thin as the workers will always be thinking about what to say before they say it, and in the kinda place where we work i feel that this would have a very negative effect. Also what better way is there to saying about how something doesn't work?

eg, 1, The suspension arm is broken.

2, the susension arm is fvcked?

I know which one works better.

When i say professional i mean that they get the job done in the most effecient way possible whilst making sure that everything that they have worked on is done correctly, just because some (all) of the workers choose to curse when they are chatting to each other or expresiing their work doesn't mean that they arent professional. If you where to ban swearing in the work place then i feel that the good working relatiuonship between the workers and the management will wear very thin as the workers will always be thinking about what to say before they say it, and in the kinda place where we work i feel that this would have a very negative effect. Also what better way is there to saying about how something doesn't work?

eg, 1, The suspension arm is broken.

2, the susension arm is fvcked?

I know which one works better.

This statement serves to demonstrate that it is a practise of intellectual lazyness

Ahh the apprenticeship of youth, a week on the job, and an 'expert' already.

Your second "eg" adds an unnessecary emotive, thus is a harmonically disruptive waste of word.

Yes, the one that sates your Ego. (precious little else)

You really are a miserable old sod that likes argueing with 17 year olds arent you,

Ahh the apprenticeship of youth, a week on the job, and an 'expert' already.

In my post where does it say that i am an expert? All i said was "I fell that this would have a negative effect on the workplace" I didnt say i know that this would have a negative, only that i feel.

Yes, the one that sates your Ego. (precious little else)

And this sates your ego, always thinking that because you are older you have to be right, well tell me this, have you ever worked in a Mercedes garage? You always claim to have knowledge of many different trades but you mustnt have been very good at any of them otherwise you would have been able to hold on to one of those jobs, and if you had kept one of those jobs the chances are you wouldn't be sleeping in a tent everynite and cycling about 20 miles/kilometers everyday just to get food and use the internet.

(SNIP) In my post where does it say that i am an expert? (SNoP)

It doesn't but you demonstrate having formed a complete judgment in a weeks time, that alludes to you acting like one.

And this sates your ego, always thinking that because you are older you have to be right, well tell me this, have you ever worked in a Mercedes garage? You always claim to have knowledge of many different trades but you mustnt have been very good at any of them otherwise you would have been able to hold on to one of those jobs, and if you had kept one of those jobs the chances are you wouldn't be sleeping in a tent everynite and cycling about 20 miles/kilometers everyday just to get food and use the internet.

And this "attempt at attack" sates yours.

I do not Claim to have knowledge, I have simply admited to it, there is a huge difference, and it is NOT a measure of my capabilities, nor of my job tenure, as one of the ones (employs) that ended out the 90's, for me, had been going on nearly ten years. (Shows how little you know about me, and that you keep trying to "sit in judgment of me", absent of lots of knowledge that is needed)

But it is that, by the Grace of God, I have progressed well beyond that type of work, (provably) just that I seem to have been incapable of getting the accreditation that I have earned, (hence furtherment) seems you love to miss pointing that one out, don't you!

I have progressed well beyond that type of work, (provably) just that I seem to have been incapable of getting the accreditation that I have earned, (hence furtherment) seems you love to miss pointing that one out, don't you!

Please explain how you are beyond that type of work? Or is this just another case where your ego is taking over?

Please explain how you are beyond that type of work? Or is this just another case where your ego is taking over?

No.

And No.

Look, he's homeless because he is arrogant. He could take a job doing anything that would allow him to pay for his own food, but he would rather waste his fellow countrymen's taxes because he considers himself beyond work.

Now for the real question. Who is more of a man? Andy, who takes responsibility for his own life and works 45 U.K. hours per week, or Mr. Robbin Parsons, who relies on his government to feed him?

Oooh... right in the nuts!

eNtRopY

Originally posted by eNtRopY
Look, he's homeless because he is arrogant. He could take a job doing anything that would allow him to pay for his own food, but he would rather waste his fellow countrymen's taxes because he considers himself beyond work.

Now for the real question. Who is more of a man? Andy, who takes responsibility for his own life and works 45 U.K. hours per week, And lives at home with Mom and Dad (?) or Mr. Robbin Parsons, who relies on his government to feed him?

Oooh... right in the nuts! Ya, you right in your own!

eNtRopY

Funny you should mention the taxpayers purse, as apparently, what I accoplished for the Canadian Government saved the Canadian Taxpayer ~$40,000,000.00

Got any accomplishments, in your life, that match that?

(About one week of my time actually, ~48 hours to do that...fourty MILLION DOLLARS!)

It is the accreditation of that that I am being robbed of, that is what I face as a problem. (and the little 'utterings' from youse boys)

And it isn't the government that feeds the homeless, it's volonteers who care.

Originally posted by Mr. Robin Parsons
Funny you should mention the taxpayers purse, as apparently, what I accoplished for the Canadian Government saved the Canadian Taxpayer ~$40,000,000.00

* cough * Liar!

And it isn't the government that feeds the homeless, it's volonteers who care.

Okay Scarlet O'Hare, you just keep relying on the kindness of strangers while telling yourself that such lack of responsibility doesn't detract from your manliness.

eNtRopY

Just who are you trying to kid? If you could save the Canadian governement that much money wouldn't other governments be trying to hire you to save them money?

* cough * Liar! (Ahhh, once again, eNtRopY..sees himself!)
Okay Scarlet O'Hare, you just keep relying on the kindness of strangers while telling yourself that such lack of responsibility doesn't detract from your manliness.
eNtRopY

Actually, it is assitive of that, such that I can still pursue the responcible parties.

Originally posted by andy
Just who are you trying to kid? (No one, "kiddo") If you could save the Canadian governement that much money wouldn't other governments be trying to hire you to save them money?
Andy, the piece of work that I wrote, I ceded the copyrights thereof to a person who could, and to the best of my knowledge, did, use it to assist in the Democratic world's legal community.

The only thing that I (am supposed to) get, from having been the Author of the work, is the accreditation for what it was able to accomplish, the accreditations that it, the work, accrues.

As it was all done privately, (my part of it was not "in/on the news" persay) the Government of Canada has a legally binding obligation to respond to me, for having done it. They have not, to this date, performed there legal obligation(s). Simple as that.

Originally posted by Mr. Robin Parsons
Actually, it is assitive of that, such that I can still pursue the responcible parties.

So you're saying you look for free handouts? Yeah, somehow I don't think that makes you any more responsible. M'kay Scarlet?

eNtRopY

So you're saying you look for free handouts? Yeah, somehow I don't think that makes you any more responsible. M'kay Scarlet?

eNtRopY
NO!, I am NOT saying that, you are.

Mentor. please lock out the thread as this clearly is no longer about the topic I started, but has digressed to nothing but the same old attack by entropy and his henceboy(s).

Entropy, having read a little bit about your attitude towards women, you are going to get yours, what you deserve, one day, God Willing I will assure/Gaurantee you of that!

BYE!

Requesting a thread lock and conveniently changing the subject? Sounds like Mr. Robin Parsons knows he is defeated.

eNtRopY

Entropy, you are really close to getting yourself booted right off PF.

<h2>1. Is the use of foul language becoming more accepted in society?</h2><p>It is difficult to determine whether the use of foul language is becoming more accepted in society as opinions on the matter vary greatly. Some argue that it has always been a part of language and is simply becoming more visible due to the rise of technology and social media. Others believe that its use has increased due to a decrease in censorship and societal norms. Ultimately, the acceptance of foul language depends on personal beliefs and cultural norms.</p><h2>2. Does the use of foul language have any negative effects?</h2><p>There is evidence to suggest that the use of foul language can have negative effects on both the speaker and the listener. It has been linked to increased aggression and hostility, and can also be seen as disrespectful or offensive to others. Additionally, excessive use of foul language can limit one's vocabulary and communication skills.</p><h2>3. Is there a difference between using foul language in private versus in public?</h2><p>Some argue that the use of foul language in private is acceptable as it is not being directed at anyone in particular. However, others believe that using it in public can still be seen as offensive and disrespectful to those around you. Ultimately, the context and audience should be considered when deciding whether or not to use foul language.</p><h2>4. Is it appropriate to use foul language in professional settings?</h2><p>The use of foul language in professional settings can vary depending on the industry and company culture. In some environments, it may be more accepted and seen as a way to express passion or frustration. However, in other settings, it may be seen as unprofessional and could potentially damage one's reputation. It is important to be mindful of the workplace culture and use language appropriately.</p><h2>5. How can we address the use of foul language in society?</h2><p>The use of foul language is a complex issue and there is no one-size-fits-all solution. Some suggest educating individuals on the potential negative effects of its use, while others believe that censorship and stricter societal norms are the key. It is important for individuals to be mindful of their language and for society to have open discussions about the impact of foul language on our culture.</p>

1. Is the use of foul language becoming more accepted in society?

It is difficult to determine whether the use of foul language is becoming more accepted in society as opinions on the matter vary greatly. Some argue that it has always been a part of language and is simply becoming more visible due to the rise of technology and social media. Others believe that its use has increased due to a decrease in censorship and societal norms. Ultimately, the acceptance of foul language depends on personal beliefs and cultural norms.

2. Does the use of foul language have any negative effects?

There is evidence to suggest that the use of foul language can have negative effects on both the speaker and the listener. It has been linked to increased aggression and hostility, and can also be seen as disrespectful or offensive to others. Additionally, excessive use of foul language can limit one's vocabulary and communication skills.

3. Is there a difference between using foul language in private versus in public?

Some argue that the use of foul language in private is acceptable as it is not being directed at anyone in particular. However, others believe that using it in public can still be seen as offensive and disrespectful to those around you. Ultimately, the context and audience should be considered when deciding whether or not to use foul language.

4. Is it appropriate to use foul language in professional settings?

The use of foul language in professional settings can vary depending on the industry and company culture. In some environments, it may be more accepted and seen as a way to express passion or frustration. However, in other settings, it may be seen as unprofessional and could potentially damage one's reputation. It is important to be mindful of the workplace culture and use language appropriately.

5. How can we address the use of foul language in society?

The use of foul language is a complex issue and there is no one-size-fits-all solution. Some suggest educating individuals on the potential negative effects of its use, while others believe that censorship and stricter societal norms are the key. It is important for individuals to be mindful of their language and for society to have open discussions about the impact of foul language on our culture.