Is function of convergent sequence rate of change equal to derivative?

In summary: I feel silly now. That should work, since the mean-value theorem applies to continuous functions. So, in summary, the equation lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{f(x_n) - f(x_{n-1})}{x_n - x_{n-1}} = f'(x) is correct as long as f and f' are continuous. However, if the derivative is not continuous, there may be counter-examples. The sequential characterization of the derivative may not work directly, but using the mean-value theorem can establish the desired equality.
brian44
Given a convergent sequence [tex]x_n \rightarrow x[/tex] and a function f, is
[tex] lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{f(x_n) - f(x_{n-1})}{x_n - x_{n-1}} = f'(x) [/tex] ?

I believe it it is, but I haven't been able to figure out how to prove it. Does anyone know of a proof or counter-example?

And probably should add [tex] x_n \not = x_{n-1} \forall n [/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Saying that
[tex]\lim_{x\to a} f(x)= F[/tex]
is exactly the same as saying
[tex]\lim_{n\to\infty} f(x_n)= F[/tex]
where
[tex]\lim_{n\to\infty} x_n= a[/tex]

so, yes, your equation is correct.

Certainly if the derivative is not continuous this isn't going to work. For the function f(x)=x2sin(1/x) when x is not 0, f(0)=0, this is differentiable with a derivative of 0 at 0. But its derivative is 2xsin(1/x)-cos(1/x) is not continuous (see wolfram alpha for a graph) and you can find a sequence of points converging to zero such that the difference quotient evaluates to whatever you want it to be really

We may assume f and f' are continuous, since that is not the main question I am concerned with.

HallsofIvy said:
Saying that
[tex]\lim_{x\to a} f(x)= F[/tex]
is exactly the same as saying
[tex]\lim_{n\to\infty} f(x_n)= F[/tex]
where
[tex]\lim_{n\to\infty} x_n= a[/tex]

so, yes, your equation is correct.
It is not quite the same thing, since that is not how the derivative is defined - all definitions I've seen have one value fixed. I.e. just plugging in [tex] x_n [/tex] to [tex] f'(x) [/tex] does not give the same function as I described, so sequential characterization doesn't work directly:

[tex] f'(x_n) = \lim_{x \rightarrow x_n} \frac{f(x) - f(x_n)}{x-x_n} [/tex]

or we could define it as

[tex] f'(x) = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{f(x) - f(x_n)}{x-x_n} [/tex]

However neither of these are the same as the limit I gave, in which both [tex] x_n [/tex] and [tex] x_{n-1} [/tex] are changing sequences, and aren't fixed. Even if accepted as another definition, then can you offer a proof the definitions are equivalent?The problem I was stuck with when I tried to use something like
[tex] f'(x_n) = \lim_{x \rightarrow x_n} \frac{f(x) - f(x_n)}{x-x_n} [/tex]
to get a bound, is that then any delta requirement depends on the specific value of n, but I may need to choose n large enough so that [tex] x_n [/tex] and [tex] x_{n-1} [/tex] meet the delta requirement, but that ends up potentially changing [tex] x_n [/tex] and the delta needed again since it depends on the specific x_n, so it's sort of like a race condition.

Last edited:
Well if f' is continuous at x and f' is defined in a neighborhood of x, you should be able to apply the mean value theorem to the interval consisting of the endpoints x_(n-1) and x_n (taking n to be large enough to begin with). Then letting n approach infinity and using the continuity of f' at x seems to establish the desired equality.

Note that I did in fact consider Office_Shredder's function (since it is more or less the canonical example of a function whose derivative exists everywhere but does not have a continuous derivative), and for obvious sequences tending to x = 0 I think the equality still holds.

snipez90 said:
Well if f' is continuous at x and f' is defined in a neighborhood of x, you should be able to apply the mean value theorem to the interval consisting of the endpoints x_(n-1) and x_n (taking n to be large enough to begin with). Then letting n approach infinity and using the continuity of f' at x seems to establish the desired equality.

Note that I did in fact consider Office_Shredder's function (since it is more or less the canonical example of a function whose derivative exists everywhere but does not have a continuous derivative), and for obvious sequences tending to x = 0 I think the equality still holds.
Ah, thanks! I didn't even think of using the mean-value theorem...

1. What is a convergent sequence?

A convergent sequence is a sequence of numbers that approaches a specific value or limit as the sequence progresses.

2. What is the rate of change in a convergent sequence?

The rate of change in a convergent sequence is the change in the sequence's values over each term, as the sequence approaches its limit.

3. What is the function of a convergent sequence?

The function of a convergent sequence is to model a continuous process or phenomenon, where the sequence's values represent the changing values of the process over time.

4. What is the relationship between the rate of change and the derivative in a convergent sequence?

The rate of change in a convergent sequence is equal to the derivative of the function that the sequence models. This means that as the sequence approaches its limit, the rate of change becomes equal to the derivative at that limit point.

5. How is the derivative used in the study of convergent sequences?

The derivative is used to analyze the behavior of a convergent sequence near its limit point. It helps determine the rate of change and whether the sequence is approaching its limit smoothly or with sudden changes.