Is Fusion possible at the accretion disk of a Black Hole?

In summary, the question asks if fusion can occur in the most energetic part of an accretion disk around a black hole. There is evidence that it is possible, but current research is still ongoing in this area. However, regular fusion is not possible in the vicinity of a black hole due to tidal forces and binary star systems do not form in such close proximity.
Qentanglement
So if we have a supermassive black hole or a regular black hole with gas swirling around it. Can this gas get hot enough to fuse with other gas molecules around it? It seems like there would be enough energy to do this, maybe not. This question seems non-trivial and I think it needs some calculations. What is the answer to this question?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
And, to expand on the question, would this happen above or below the event horizon, and would fusions continue until you get Iron? Or, would there be excess energy to go more massive than Iron?

Fusion is not possible in the vicinity of a black hole. Tidal forces overwhelm gravitational attraction. Binary star systems do to not form is such close proximity.

Wait wait wait, I don't understand what you mean by tidal forces. There are no oceans involved. (jk) But really, what tidal forces are you talking about? Sure Binary star systems do not form near black holes, but that's not what I was asking.

I was asking, being more clear this time, "Is it possible for the fusion process to happen in the most energetic part of the accretion disk?" "Since the accretion disk is so energetic, shouldn't there be enough energy for say two hydrogen nuclei to fuse?"

Qentanglement said:
So if we have a supermassive black hole or a regular black hole with gas swirling around it. Can this gas get hot enough to fuse with other gas molecules around it? It seems like there would be enough energy to do this, maybe not. This question seems non-trivial and I think it needs some calculations. What is the answer to this question?

It appears to be possible

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1987ApJ...313..674C
http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2000A&A...353.1029M

and it's a major topic of current research

http://www.lsw.uni-heidelberg.de/nic2010/talks/McLaughlin.pdf

Chronos said:
Fusion is not possible in the vicinity of a black hole. Tidal forces overwhelm gravitational attraction. Binary star systems do to not form is such close proximity.

I think you are thinking about stellar black holes. It's likely that there is some nucleosynthesis around gamma ray bursters or in active galactic nuclei.

1. What is fusion?

Fusion is a nuclear reaction in which two or more atomic nuclei collide and combine to form a heavier nucleus. This process releases a large amount of energy, similar to the power source of the sun.

2. Can fusion occur at the accretion disk of a black hole?

Yes, fusion can occur at the accretion disk of a black hole. The conditions at the accretion disk, such as high temperatures and pressures, are suitable for fusion reactions to take place.

3. How is fusion possible at the accretion disk of a black hole?

The extreme conditions at the accretion disk, including high temperatures and pressures, cause particles to collide and fuse together, releasing a significant amount of energy. This energy is then emitted as radiation, making the accretion disk of a black hole a potential site for fusion reactions.

4. What elements can be produced through fusion at the accretion disk of a black hole?

Fusion at the accretion disk of a black hole can produce a range of elements, depending on the specific reactions occurring. These elements can include hydrogen, helium, and heavier elements like carbon, nitrogen, and oxygen.

5. Are there any challenges to achieving fusion at the accretion disk of a black hole?

Yes, there are several challenges to achieving fusion at the accretion disk of a black hole. These include the extreme conditions that make it difficult to control and sustain fusion reactions, as well as the intense gravitational pull of the black hole that can disrupt the fusion process. Additionally, the high levels of radiation at the accretion disk can also pose challenges to achieving and maintaining fusion reactions.