1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is getting a PhD in physics a good idea?

1. May 24, 2013 #1
    I am going into my senior year in high school, and I have been gradually trying to narrow down my choices for what to do with my life after high school. I have a passion for math and science, and have been debating becoming a physicist. My only hold ups are the job opportunities, and salary. Any information or opinions will be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2013 #2
    I think it's a great idea for me. But maybe it is or isn't for you. It's too early to say whether or not you should get a PhD especially if you haven't even taken physics classes yet.

Did you see this pinned topic?
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=240792

4. May 24, 2013 #3
    I have taken physics this year and loved it, my favorite class of the year. Did fairly well in it to. (A first semester, B+ second)

5. May 24, 2013 #4
    Just take a look at that thread. Physics in high school is nothing like getting a PhD in physics or even a BS in physics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook