Is going to lecture a huge waste of time?

  • Thread starter Thread starter gravenewworld
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Lecture Time
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
183 replies · 43K views
chill_factor said:
to those that say you learn better from textbooks than from lectureres:

good luck with books like Jackson, Goldstein, McQuarrie, Marder and Mukamel. You know, a professor is a recognized expert in the field; even the worst PhD is magnitudes superior to a typical BS student - they already did the mental weightlifting, so to speak, and it'll be ludicrous to say that a boxer who weightlifted for 10 years is weaker than a novice boxer trainee. when both boxers are just jumping rope (intro classes) you probably can't see the difference. When the boxers are in the ring, the difference is clear.

I'll just say this: For those books its not possible to solve many of the problems with knowledge only given in the book. The professor will usually either assign self written problems, or pick and choose the problems that are actually solvable in reasonable amounts of time. Also the exam often has nothing to do with the homework, unlike in lower division classes.

I am in lower division classes. It's my 3rd week of college
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Kuhan said:
I am in lower division classes. It's my 3rd week of college

then don't make judgments so fast.

i will go to lecture despite not understanding the professor at all because the professors actually know if you go or not, and when it comes down to crunch time on the tests, and you're 1 point away from passing or failing, guess who the professor sympathizes with:

the guy that comes to class every day without fail, tries, and the material is just a bit too hard
the guy that skips class and does badly
 
chill_factor said:
then don't make judgments so fast.

i will go to lecture despite not understanding the professor at all because the professors actually know if you go or not, and when it comes down to crunch time on the tests, and you're 1 point away from passing or failing, guess who the professor sympathizes with:

the guy that comes to class every day without fail, tries, and the material is just a bit too hard
the guy that skips class and does badly

lol I used to sit in the front (the most front) of class for the first 2 weeks then suddenly I didn't go the third week.
 
Vanadium 50 said:
Yes, you've said that.



Your own money? I find that people who are paying for college themselves tend not to skip lectures.

I'm on a full scholarship