Is Griffiths Introduction to Elementary Particles up to date?

In summary, the Griffiths Introduction to Elementary Particles (1st Edition) is an entry-level textbook on particle physics that may be outdated in terms of recent developments in the field. However, as a beginner, these developments may not be relevant and the book is considered to be the author's best written textbook. The only established facts beyond the Standard Model are neutrino masses and oscillations, which may not be fully described in any textbook. Overall, the book may still be a good resource for beginners in particle physics.
kmm
I have a copy of Griffiths Introduction to Elementary Particles (1st Edition) and was thinking of beginning to work through it. I was curious if anyone knows if this text is sufficiently up to date or if there have been any major developments in particle physics that would make it worth getting a different text. The only thing I'm aware of is that in the 2nd edition, there is an added chapter on neutrino oscillations. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
No textbook will be up to date. Research is going on all the time.

Likes Demystifier and dextercioby
Vanadium 50 said:
No textbook will be up to date. Research is going on all the time.

Right, I wouldn't expect any book to be 100% up to date. But this book was published in 1987, so I wasn't sure if this book is so significantly outdated that there are a lot of glaring problems with it that it would be best for me to just find a new book. I also wasn't sure, being this is an "entry level" book on the topic, if the topics he covers have essentially remained unchanged since it was published.

Read the title: "Introduction to...". So the delevopments over the last 30 years (out of which the confirmation of the Higgs boson beats them all as relevance) should not matter to a beginner.

This is his best written textbook, even though his QM one is more famous and used in American schools.

Likes Demystifier and kmm
dextercioby said:
Read the title: "Introduction to...". So the delevopments over the last 30 years (out of which the confirmation of the Higgs boson beats them all as relevance) should not matter to a beginner.

This is his best written textbook, even though his QM one is more famous and used in American schools.

I suspected that. Thanks for the feedback!

Well his QM book is not too good, judged from the many confused students asking about it in the quantum forum. I like his E&M textbook very much but don't know his particle physics book very well, but it seems to be pretty good too.

Concerning "up to date". I would say, an HEP book is pretty likely to be up to date. After all the Standard Model is over 40 years old now and still the best theory ever. The only established fact beyond it are neutrino masses and oscillations, and about this I've not seen a complete textbook description yet. There are too many hand-waving arguments around. The best textbook concerning that topic I know of is Blinky's "Lecture Note of Physics" volume about it, though as far as I can see, it also lacks the complete description, which can only be to describe the complete creation and detection process with QFT, see, e.g.,

https://doi.org/10.1007/s10701-011-9545-4

Likes kmm

1. Is Griffiths Introduction to Elementary Particles still relevant in modern physics?

Yes, Griffiths Introduction to Elementary Particles is still considered a highly relevant and useful textbook in modern physics. While some of the specific details may have been updated since its publication in 1987, the fundamental concepts and theories covered in the book are still widely used and taught in particle physics courses.

2. Are there any major changes or updates in the latest edition of Griffiths Introduction to Elementary Particles?

The latest edition of Griffiths Introduction to Elementary Particles (2nd edition, published in 2008) includes updates on recent discoveries and developments in the field of particle physics, such as the discovery of the Higgs boson. However, the overall structure and content of the book remains largely the same as the first edition.

3. Can I use Griffiths Introduction to Elementary Particles as a self-study guide?

Yes, Griffiths Introduction to Elementary Particles is often used as a self-study guide by students and researchers in the field of particle physics. The book is well-written and includes numerous examples and exercises to help readers understand the material.

4. Is Griffiths Introduction to Elementary Particles suitable for beginners in particle physics?

Yes, Griffiths Introduction to Elementary Particles is considered a good introductory textbook for students with a basic background in physics and mathematics. The book is written in a clear and accessible manner, making it suitable for beginners in the field of particle physics.

5. Are there any supplemental resources available for Griffiths Introduction to Elementary Particles?

Yes, there are various supplemental resources available for Griffiths Introduction to Elementary Particles, including online lecture notes, problem sets, and solutions manuals. Additionally, there are many online resources and forums where students and researchers can discuss and further explore the concepts covered in the book.