Is it bad to have bad grades in required courses not pertaining to your major?

In summary, a mathematics major is struggling with time constraints and is considering dropping some courses to improve grades. Graduate schools may not be happy with this decision, but it's the only option currently available to the student.
DeadOriginal
I am a mathematics major. I am currently taking an honors analysis course using Spivak. I am also taking a statistics course which I enjoy. I am also taking a reading course with the same professor who is teaching my honors analysis course. Rudin's Real and Complex Analysis is being used in the reading course. The problem is I also have a job, a history course (WWI), a physics course and French.

I find myself pulling an all nighter at least once a week to be able to finish all the work that is required. This isn't even including the reading course because I haven't been able to do much due to the time constraints. I can't really drop any of the courses because if I do I won't graduate on time. I can't quit my job either because I need the money to pay for tuition.

Would it be a problem for me if I got say a B- or B in any of the courses not directly related to math? Would graduate schools look upon this unfavorably? I don't have anything lower than an A in any of my mathematics courses and for the time being, it will most likely stay that way. I feel like the required courses like history and french are a big waste of time. I would really rather just focus on the mathematics courses.

I really want to go to a strong university for my PhD in mathematics. Will getting lower than an A or A- lower my chances?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's ok. It won't make or break you. If you get a D or an F, maybe. But a B is fine.

Jump through the hoops and do well in your courses, even the ones you don't like.

If you're a freshman and already struggling with time constraints, you will probably want to sacrifice graduating on time. It's no big deal, you have a job, and you'll do better off if you spread your coursework enough to ensure to get the best grades you can.

I take full courseloads because my financial support depends on it, and I am one of the few in my degree that is going to graduate on time, but not without a drawback: less than stellar grades due to time constraints (and grading policies), which are likely going to hamper my chances at graduate school.

So if you feel you could do better with more time, bite the bullet and take an extra semester or two to graduate.

Lets just say all of the people that I went to high school with have graduated and started their careers already. I'm almost ancient haha, so I really don't want to be any later.

Big deal, I'm graduating at the age of 25-26. Age doesn't matter for phd admissions, grades do. There are a few here who've graduated in their 30's and got into good graduate programs.

I'm also attending an out of state school so once my financial aid runs out my job won't be able to support me anymore.

1. What impact will bad grades in required courses not pertaining to my major have on my GPA?

Bad grades in required courses not pertaining to your major can have a negative impact on your overall GPA. These courses are still counted towards your GPA, so if you consistently perform poorly in them, it can bring down your GPA.

2. Will bad grades in these courses affect my chances of getting into graduate school?

Graduate schools typically look at your overall GPA, as well as your grades in courses related to your major. While bad grades in required courses not pertaining to your major may not be ideal, they may not have as significant of an impact as your major-related courses.

3. Should I retake these courses to improve my grades?

If your goal is to improve your overall GPA, retaking these courses may be beneficial. However, keep in mind that some schools only replace the grade if you retake the exact same course, so make sure to check with your academic advisor before making a decision.

4. How can I explain my bad grades in these courses to potential employers?

Employers may ask about your grades in these courses, especially if they are relevant to the job you are applying for. It's important to be honest and explain any extenuating circumstances that may have affected your performance. You can also highlight your strengths and accomplishments in other areas to showcase your overall abilities.

5. Will bad grades in these courses affect my future job prospects?

In most cases, employers are more interested in your skills and experience related to the job, rather than your grades in courses that are not directly related. However, if the job requires a specific skill or knowledge that you have not performed well in, it may affect your chances of getting hired.