Is it difficult to apply for a PhD in physics without experience?

In summary, the individual is currently self-learning physics and plans to apply for a PhD in physics. They have a BS and MS degree in EE from China and have been working for five years. They have a strong interest in physics and computer science, and have been studying physics courses through MIT's open course system. They have completed courses in classical mechanics, electrodynamics, waves, and mathematical methods for physics, and are currently studying Griffiths' QM. They have questions about the difficulty of applying for a physics PhD in the US with no prior experience in the field, as well as what areas of QM they should focus on and what resources they should follow. They are seeking advice and suggestions for their pursuit of a PhD in physics
Haorong Wu
Hi. I’m currently self-learning physics and hopefully will apply for a PhD in physics, but there are some problems troubling me.

I received my BS. and MS. degrees in EE in China. I’ve been working for five years since then.

From high school, my two major interests are physics and computer science. I always regret that I did not opt physics. Fortunately, my passion for physics does not fade. I started to study physics courses last year following the MIT open course. I’ve finished (unfortunately, without a exam) classical mechanics, electrodynamics, wave, mathematical method for physics. I’m currently learning Griffiths’ QM. I find QM fascinating and hope to pursue a relevant degree.

I still have some questions:

1. Since I have zero experience of any areas in physics, and my degrees are not physics, how difficult will it be if I apply for a physics PhD in US, ranking about 10th to 30th? (my GRE is 153/170/3.5; I haven’t taken TOEFL and GRE sub yet; my GPA of undergraduate school is about 3.5)

2. What are the possible interesting directions in QM? I’m currently thinking about quantum computation, but I wonder there are some other better choices.

3. Griffiths’ book is great, and easy to learn. What should I study next? The Shankar’s book or Dirac’s?

4. Are there any journals or bibliographic I should follow?

I’m looking forward for any other suggestions or tips from you.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a really hard question and is best answered by some prospective university admissions office.

Do you have a former prof that is familiar with graduate school in the US? They could provide valuable insight on how to apply and where.

I'm sure some of your courses would apply however my feeling is that the school would want you to go through a BS in Physics to properly prepare you for graduate school especially since you've been away from academics for five years and you're coming from another country/culture/language.

I know when I went back to graduate school after six years away, I found myself competing with other grad students who just got their BS a few months earlier. This meant they were on top of their math much more so than I was and I had to really struggle through things. In QM I ran into new math I was totally unfamiliar with specifically Laguerre, Bessel and Legendre polynomials. We were expected to know them well enough to take a test without any study aids/cheat sheets.

jedishrfu said:
This is a really hard question and is best answered by some prospective university admissions office.

Do you have a former prof that is familiar with graduate school in the US? They could provide valuable insight on how to apply and where.

I'm sure some of your courses would apply however my feeling is that the school would want you to go through a BS in Physics to properly prepare you for graduate school especially since you've been away from academics for five years and you're coming from another country/culture/language.

I know when I went back to graduate school after six years away, I found myself competing with other grad students who just got their BS a few months earlier. This meant they were on top of their math much more so than I was and I had to really struggle through things. In QM I ran into new math I was totally unfamiliar with specifically Laguerre, Bessel and Legendre polynomials. We were expected to know them well enough to take a test without any study aids/cheat sheets.
Thank you for you advice, jedishrfu.

I think it will be a difficult challenge to apply for a PhD. Unfortunatelly, the professors I know are serving in the navy, and they hardly know people in US.

But, anyway, I will try to find another way and fight for it.

Thank you again.

How about looking for other students surely some of them have come here?

Haorong Wu said:
Hi. I’m currently self-learning physics and hopefully will apply for a PhD in physics, but there are some problems troubling me.

I received my BS. and MS. degrees in EE in China. I’ve been working for five years since then.

From high school, my two major interests are physics and computer science. I always regret that I did not opt physics. Fortunately, my passion for physics does not fade. I started to study physics courses last year following the MIT open course. I’ve finished (unfortunately, without a exam) classical mechanics, electrodynamics, wave, mathematical method for physics. I’m currently learning Griffiths’ QM. I find QM fascinating and hope to pursue a relevant degree.

I still have some questions:

1. Since I have zero experience of any areas in physics, and my degrees are not physics, how difficult will it be if I apply for a physics PhD in US, ranking about 10th to 30th? (my GRE is 153/170/3.5; I haven’t taken TOEFL and GRE sub yet; my GPA of undergraduate school is about 3.5)

2. What are the possible interesting directions in QM? I’m currently thinking about quantum computation, but I wonder there are some other better choices.

3. Griffiths’ book is great, and easy to learn. What should I study next? The Shankar’s book or Dirac’s?

4. Are there any journals or bibliographic I should follow?

I’m looking forward for any other suggestions or tips from you.

Thank you!

Try this:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...if-my-bachelors-degree-isnt-in-physics.64966/
Zz.

Likes jedishrfu
jedishrfu said:
How about looking for other students surely some of them have come here?

That's a possible solution. I'll try that. Thank you again, jedishrfu.

Likes jedishrfu
Haorong Wu said:
Glad to hear your advice, ZapperZ. That thread is on of the first threads I read when I came here. I'll take a formal GRE sub test later this year.

I hope I will get a nice score.

What about the second part of my suggestion?

Zz.

Your previous degrees are in a related field. You need to score exceptionally well on the GRE subject test. My old office mate from China had a BS in meteorology, aced the physics GRE, and got admitted to a very good program.

ZapperZ said:
What about the second part of my suggestion?

Zz.

Hello, Zz.

Sorry I've neglected the second part of your suggestion which I now find to be much more valuable than the GRE sub.

Well, I feel terrifying after I skimed a qualifying exam of the UCSD. Those undergraduate part problems are too simple, while I have no clues for the graduate parts. Is that meaning I'm not well prepared for appyling for a PhD?

alan2 said:
Your previous degrees are in a related field. You need to score exceptionally well on the GRE subject test. My old office mate from China had a BS in meteorology, aced the physics GRE, and got admitted to a very good program.

Thank you for your advice, alan.

I'll try my best on the GRE Sub. I'm not too worry about the test cause I heard it is not difficult. :P

1. Is it possible to get accepted into a PhD program in physics without any prior research experience?

Yes, it is possible to get accepted into a PhD program in physics without prior research experience. While research experience can strengthen your application, it is not always a requirement for admission. Admissions committees also consider other factors such as academic achievements, letters of recommendation, and personal statements.

2. Will not having research experience put me at a disadvantage compared to other applicants?

Having research experience can give you an advantage in the admissions process, but it is not a determining factor. Admissions committees also consider other aspects of your application such as your academic record, letters of recommendation, and personal statement. If you can demonstrate your passion and potential for research through these other components, you can still be a competitive applicant.

3. Can I apply for a PhD in physics if my undergraduate degree is in a different field?

Yes, you can still apply for a PhD in physics even if your undergraduate degree is in a different field. Many graduate programs welcome applicants from diverse academic backgrounds, as it brings a variety of perspectives and experiences to the program. However, you may need to take additional coursework or demonstrate your proficiency in physics through other means to be considered for admission.

4. Will I be expected to have a certain level of knowledge or skills in physics before applying for a PhD program?

While it is helpful to have a strong foundation in physics before applying for a PhD program, it is not always a requirement. Admissions committees understand that applicants may come from different backgrounds and may not have the same level of knowledge or skills in physics. If you can demonstrate your potential and willingness to learn through your application, you can still be considered for admission.

5. Are there any alternative paths to gaining research experience before applying for a PhD in physics?

Yes, there are alternative paths to gaining research experience before applying for a PhD in physics. You can participate in research projects as an undergraduate student, work as a research assistant or technician, or pursue a master's degree in a related field. These experiences can help you develop research skills and make you a more competitive applicant for a PhD program in physics.