Is it important that I use crystal sugar from the same source in my experiment?

• Thread starter ZuzaMagda
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Is it at all possible for the crystal sugar from one package to be qualitatively different from crystal sugar from another package (brand, etc.)? In other words, if I need sucrose for an experiment, could it affect the results if I use crystal sugar from different packages or of different brands? What if I use sugar that was bought ten years ago and sugar that was bought recently? Does sucrose "get old" at all?

Answers and Replies

fss
Yes, it is possible. If the sugar is not supposed to be a variable, you need to try to keep it as much of a control as possible. Same batch is a good idea.

But why? How exactly could sugar from different batches affect the results of my experiment?

I mean, for all I know, crystal sugar is basically sucrose, and sucrose is sucrose, or C12H22O11 if you like. If you use distilled water - pure H2O - in an experiment, I don't think you worry much about whether you are taking it from the same bottle every time or even if you are using the same brand, do you?