1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it normal to have to take computer science to be able to become an engineer

1. Dec 7, 2009 #1
    (to get a B.S. in electr. eng.)?
    at a 2 year college, but how are these related to the electrical engineering major and would there be MORE computer science classes after transfer to a university ?
    (Are the required courses at the 2 year college possibly based on which university one plans on transferring to?)
    These are the classes,

Introduction to Computer Science
    Introduction to Computer Programming Using Structured C++
    Object-Oriented Programming Using C++
    Object-Oriented Data Structures and
    Algorithm Design

there are quite a lot of them, this is part of the requirement for an electrical engineering major, you do some classes at the 2 year college and then you transfer to a 4 year college once you have done about 60 units of various classes at a 2 year college?
    Did anyone else who is already working as an engineer, electrical or other, have to take computer science classes?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2009 #2
    CS 102 is required for just about every engineering major at my school, and is a science elective for the few majors it's not required for. You're comp sci load seems kind of heavy, but as a computer engineer I can tell you that you need to know how to program for a lot of the hardware side of EE. Most of the senior designs (for most engineering majors) at my school required programming in some form or another 'cause a lot of them end up having a microcontroller (and often sensor) component.

Depends on the school, but at most I'd expect you'd be required to take a course on numerical analysis (at my school it's matlab, but the language can vary widely) and possibly micro-controller programming (embedded C) and integrated circuit design (VHDL/verilog), which is folded into the micro-controller programming lab at my school and is an elective for EEs.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook