Is it ok to email professor about final exam and grades

In summary, a professor would not be happy if they received an email asking for confirmation of grades, and would consider it nagging and/or condescending.
Lagraaaange
Is it ok to email a professor asking them to confirm your grades to this point e.g. you send them all your homework grades and midterm grade in case of error and ask them about your final exam score? Would this be nagging and or condescending. Wouldn't want to hurt my image just before final grades lol

Physics news on Phys.org
I do not like that kind of questions, but I won't be hurting a student because of it.
It is just sad that so many students' questions are about that kind of stuff instead of questions about their understanding of the content of the course.

Likes cristo
PietKuip said:
I do not like that kind of questions, but I won't be hurting a student because of it.
It is just sad that so many students' questions are about that kind of stuff instead of questions about their understanding of the content of the course.
This is mainly to make sure none of my homeworks were misplaced.Also to include a "Thank you for the semester"

I have no problem with help making sure i get a student's grade correct, that is part of my job and i wouldn't want to get it wrong. I am very careful about that sort of thing myself though and am unlikely to have it wrong, if anything i am more likely than the student to have omitted some low grades to help him/her. once very early in my career though i gave a fine student a B who probably had never gotten a B before, because of some missing homework scores. I thought he had not submitted them but I have wondered since whether i lost them somehow. it would have been nice to verify with him.

Lagraaaange said:
Is it ok to email a professor asking them to confirm your grades to this point e.g. you send them all your homework grades and midterm grade in case of error and ask them about your final exam score? Would this be nagging and or condescending. Wouldn't want to hurt my image just before final grades lol

Unless your school's policy is different, I am not able to communicate any grade information via email due to privacy concerns. I always invite the student to come and discuss the matter with me in person; often they set an appointment. Then, invariably, they don't show up.

If you have evidence of a numerical error, bring it to the professor. Otherwise, if the student has not been even an occasional visitor for office hours, I find their too-late demand to complain about their grade childish.

Last edited:
I think I probably speak not only for myelf but also many others when I say that no matter how I personally feel about grade inquiries, I give the grade strictly based on scores and university and class rules, not my impression of the student's maturity. So complaints don't help unless based on factual evidence of error, but they don't hurt either. Some few people may of course react differently however.

Likes PietKuip

1. Can I email my professor about my final exam and grades?

Yes, it is generally acceptable to email your professor to inquire about your final exam and grades. However, it is important to approach the situation professionally and respectfully.

2. Is it appropriate to email my professor before the final exam about my grades?

It is generally not appropriate to email your professor before the final exam about your grades. Your professor likely has many students and it may be overwhelming to receive multiple emails about grades. It is best to wait until after the final exam has been graded to inquire about your grade.

3. How should I word my email to my professor about my final exam and grades?

When emailing your professor about your final exam and grades, it is important to be polite and professional. Begin by addressing the professor respectfully and clearly state the purpose of your email. Be specific about which exam or assignment you are inquiring about and provide any necessary details or context. End the email with a polite closing and your name.

4. Is it appropriate to ask for a grade change via email?

It is generally not appropriate to ask for a grade change via email. This is a serious matter that should be discussed in person with your professor. If you believe there has been a grading error, it is best to schedule a meeting with your professor to discuss it.

5. Can I request an extension for the final exam via email?

It is generally not appropriate to request an extension for the final exam via email. This type of request should be made in person with your professor. However, if you have extenuating circumstances that prevent you from taking the exam, it is best to reach out to your professor as soon as possible to explain the situation and discuss potential options.