Is it Okay to Write Broadly About Future Goals for a College Physics Essay?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 5K views
ujjwal3097
Messages
57
Reaction score
4
hi
i am applying to Georgia tech and there a question that asking about what you want to do in future .
so i am writing that i will get physics degree then for advance study i will enroll in grad school and after my phd i would like to work as a scientist in NASA astronomy department .
what I am worried is about that may be college is asking to be specific about your future but at this age without any good knowledge how can I be physics .Obviously I can not write about that how I will get up everyday and get ready for my dream job specifically doing a apart of job that will just sound i have predicted future .
so is it fine to write in broad terms.
thanks a lot any help appreciated
 
Physics news on Phys.org
ujjwal3097 said:
hi
i am applying to Georgia tech and there a question that asking about what you want to do in future .
so i am writing that i will get physics degree then for advance study i will enroll in grad school and after my phd i would like to work as a scientist in NASA astronomy department .
what I am worried is about that may be college is asking to be specific about your future but at this age without any good knowledge how can I be physics .Obviously I can not write about that how I will get up everyday and get ready for my dream job specifically doing a apart of job that will just sound i have predicted future .
so is it fine to write in broad terms.
thanks a lot any help appreciated

Already, it shows that you really haven't done even minor "background research" on this.

First of all, they're asking you want you envision as your career and your contribution, NOT where you think you will work.

Secondly, do you think NASA has an official "astronomy department" as in a school?

Thirdly, if you look at most of the papers that you think were out of NASA, you will see that the majority of those people actually do NOT work for NASA. NASA, as an agency, often contracts out work, and also funds projects to other institutions. So all those Mars mission, all those space probes, etc. are often led by individuals from other institutions who are not NASA employees. What if the institution you are applying to was one of these institutions, and that you simply did not recognize their major contribution to many of the NASA projects? In other words, have you truly done your homework?

Finally, if I were to see such a statement in a student's application, my first impression is that this student is more interested in having a stature of getting to say "Oh, I work for NASA", rather than actually being a good astronomer. Otherwise, why would one even narrow down to wanting to work for a particular place instead of a particular vocation?

So even without going into details, your broad description by itself already has problems.

Zz.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ujjwal3097
Your English is very difficult to read. You may want somebody else to proof read your essay if this is the best you can do.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ujjwal3097
micromass said:
Your English is very difficult to read. You may want somebody else to proof read your essay if this is the best you can do.
i am really sorry for that. I actually never proofread my post . Really thanks for that comment I really need to proof read my posts.
thanks
 
ZapperZ said:
Already, it shows that you really haven't done even minor "background research" on this.

First of all, they're asking you want you envision as your career and your contribution, NOT where you think you will work.

Secondly, do you think NASA has an official "astronomy department" as in a school?

Thirdly, if you look at most of the papers that you think were out of NASA, you will see that the majority of those people actually do NOT work for NASA. NASA, as an agency, often contracts out work, and also funds projects to other institutions. So all those Mars mission, all those space probes, etc. are often led by individuals from other institutions who are not NASA employees. What if the institution you are applying to was one of these institutions, and that you simply did not recognize their major contribution to many of the NASA projects? In other words, have you truly done your homework?

Finally, if I were to see such a statement in a student's application, my first impression is that this student is more interested in having a stature of getting to say "Oh, I work for NASA", rather than actually being a good astronomer. Otherwise, why would one even narrow down to wanting to work for a particular place instead of a particular vocation?

So even without going into details, your broad description by itself already has problems.

Zz.
Thanks a lot for all the information .I really appreciate for your help .Now I might go and do some homework .Can I post the essay after a 2 days? .I just want somebody experienced as you to read my essay and give some advice.
thanks a lot
yours sincerely
ujjwal-3097
 
micromass said:
Your English is very difficult to read. You may want somebody else to proof read your essay if this is the best you can do.

micromass said:
Sure, you can post the essay here!
thanks a lot sir
 
Last edited by a moderator: