1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it possible for photons to display in the center of room?

Tags:
  1. Sep 21, 2015 #1
    Is it possible for photons to center themselves in mid-air in the center of a room, multiplying and change directions while still being somewhat centered in the room? I have tried looking this up in Google, but all I got were articles which I did not have enough time to read. If this is the wrong place to put this thread, please excuse my fault.

Thank you for all whom reply.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2015 #2
    A photon can be anywhere, (arguably), but it can't replicate, it's a fundamental particle.
    When considered as particle (as opposed to a wave), it's trajectory can be altered by strong gravitional fields.

4. Sep 21, 2015 #3
    What would happen if someone somehow is able to replicate the photon?

5. Sep 21, 2015 #4
    I'm not sure what your concept of replication is.
    A photon is a small 'quanta' of electromagnetic energy, it is what it is.
    Photons cannot generate more photons if that what you mean.

6. Sep 21, 2015 #5
    Ohhh okay, I see. Thank you for making it clear! :D

7. Sep 21, 2015 #6
    Closest to what you are talking about could be a device called a photomultiplier.
    It can absorb a few photons and then use this to trigger a process which creates several more photons , but the new photons are being created from an external energy supply to the device.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photomultiplier

8. Sep 21, 2015 #7

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Not without some substantial help from various electro-optic devices.

9. Sep 22, 2015 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

A photon cannot "center itself" any where because it cannot stand still. A photon is always travelling at "c", the speed of light.

10. Sep 22, 2015 #9

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Er.. wait, hang on. A "photomultipler", contrary to its name, is not a device that makes more photons!

It is a vacuum tube in which a single photon triggers an electron cascade via secondary emission. This electron cascade then is recorded as an electrical signal. It is essential to make the device sensitive down to a level of single photons. It doesn't generate more photons.

Coming back to the original question, I'm surprised that some people actually understood what was being asked. I read it three times, and I still don't understand what this "center themselves" means and the rest of the post.

Zz.

11. Sep 22, 2015 #10
    I think no matter the interpretation of the question, it is safe to say the answer is "no".

12. Sep 22, 2015 #11
    Oh OK, I thought it acted more or less directly as an amplifier of low level light and some other device converted the result into an electrical signal.

13. Sep 22, 2015 #12
    Unfortunately there is trend to hurry with answer before trying to clarify what the question is. :smile:
    It's manifested in general but sometimes even on this forum.

14. Sep 22, 2015 #13

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

15. Sep 22, 2015 #14

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If photons could somehow center themselves in the middle of a room you wouldn't be able to see them because they wouldn't be travelling to your eye.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook