Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it possible that Our universe could be a tiny spec in a say, sandbox?

1. Jun 16, 2012 #1
    I'm new to this forum but...

Is our universe a Spec or not? I hope it isn't can you guys provide proof?

It has been really bugging me, and When I think about it my heart beats fast and I get nervous..

Will someone help me out?

I need good proof, if you don't mind.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2012 #2
    Well let me start by saying there is no proof of anything, so get your hopes down.

There are a lot of theories in modern cosmology that deal with the multiverse, and some which seem similar to what you are talking about. Obviously there is no proof for any of them, usually just theory and the occasional tidbit of evidence (really, really shaky evidence at that).

I would start by looking at the wikipedia page for multiverse, and following up on the theories you read about there to get an idea of some of the ideas that are being tossed around.

4. Jun 17, 2012 #3

But is that impossible for us to be small and yet infinite?

5. Jun 17, 2012 #4
    Be careful when using the words 'infinite' and 'impossible'. I'd research the multiverse ideas, the wikipedia article and any simple pages found from googling will probably answer most of your questions.

6. Jun 17, 2012 #5
    I agree with trying not to use words such as 'impossible' , as the is no such thing as scientific inevitability. The multiverse concept isn't one with lots of data and evidence to prove it. There is, as you mentioned, the occasional piece of information, but this is either made up or not very reliable. To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't keep yourself up panicking about a 'Horton hears a who' situation!

Tigerbarb1

7. Jun 17, 2012 #6

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since there is no way to make observations outside of the known universe, any discussion of things outside our universe must be speculative. We do not speculate on these forums.

Thread closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook