Is it possible that Our universe could be a tiny spec in a say, sandbox?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Minchken
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Universe
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 4K views
Minchken
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
I'm new to this forum but...

Is our universe a Spec or not? I hope it isn't can you guys provide proof?

It has been really bugging me, and When I think about it my heart beats fast and I get nervous..

Will someone help me out?

I need good proof, if you don't mind.
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Well let me start by saying there is no proof of anything, so get your hopes down.

There are a lot of theories in modern cosmology that deal with the multiverse, and some which seem similar to what you are talking about. Obviously there is no proof for any of them, usually just theory and the occasional tidbit of evidence (really, really shaky evidence at that).

I would start by looking at the wikipedia page for multiverse, and following up on the theories you read about there to get an idea of some of the ideas that are being tossed around.
 
Vorde said:
Well let me start by saying there is no proof of anything, so get your hopes down.

There are a lot of theories in modern cosmology that deal with the multiverse, and some which seem similar to what you are talking about. Obviously there is no proof for any of them, usually just theory and the occasional tidbit of evidence (really, really shaky evidence at that).

I would start by looking at the wikipedia page for multiverse, and following up on the theories you read about there to get an idea of some of the ideas that are being tossed around.


But is that impossible for us to be small and yet infinite?
 
Be careful when using the words 'infinite' and 'impossible'. I'd research the multiverse ideas, the wikipedia article and any simple pages found from googling will probably answer most of your questions.
 
Vorde said:
Be careful when using the words 'infinite' and 'impossible'. I'd research the multiverse ideas, the wikipedia article and any simple pages found from googling will probably answer most of your questions.
I agree with trying not to use words such as 'impossible' , as the is no such thing as scientific inevitability. The multiverse concept isn't one with lots of data and evidence to prove it. There is, as you mentioned, the occasional piece of information, but this is either made up or not very reliable. To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't keep yourself up panicking about a 'Horton hears a who' situation!

Tigerbarb1
 
Since there is no way to make observations outside of the known universe, any discussion of things outside our universe must be speculative. We do not speculate on these forums.

Thread closed.