Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it possible there are many mass parameters for different type of forces ?

1. Oct 5, 2011 #1
    Please teach me this:
    Is it possible there are corresponding mass parameters for different types of interaction for a certain particle?.Because each type of interaction has an own contribution in total mass.Then considering quarks with electro-weak interaction,despite nonzero total mass of quarks we still have the breaking of SU(2) symmetry?(Because I think that for the breaking of SU(2) symmetry we would have one quark massive(corresponding mass) and one quark massless(corresponding mass))
    Thank you very much in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2011 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't fully understand your question. However gravity is the only one of the four forces where mass enters directly.

4. Oct 5, 2011 #3
    The thing I do not understand is why both up and down quarks have nonzero mass,but we still have broken symmetry SU(2).Because I think that for the breaking symmetry we might have one quark is massive and other quark is massless?

5. Oct 5, 2011 #4
    I am sorry,now I have know that the spontaneously symmetry breaking explaining for electro-weak force happens because the Higgs mechanism.Please forgive me for my many useless questions.

6. Oct 6, 2011 #5

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think your questions are useless. Unfortunately it is obvious that English is not your first language, so your questions are difficult to understand.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook