Is it possible to catch mononucleosis twice during life?

  • Topic: Medical 
  • Thread starter Thread starter fluidistic
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Life
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 13K views
fluidistic
Gold Member
Messages
3,934
Reaction score
286
Hi,
I've been suffering of mononucleosis in late 2006. I've read that the virus never leave out the body for all the life of the infected person. I wonder if it is possible that the virus becomes active once again (like the herpes virus since they are closely related) and also if it is possible to me to contract it from drinking a glass of a person suffering from it.
Last question : can I transmit it to people not yet infected?
Thanks.
 
Biology news on Phys.org
Talk to your doctor. You may be able to shed the Epstein-Barr virus for over a year after infection, but I don't know if you are likely to be able to infect others. Once you have had mono, I doubt that you can contract it again because your body has developed antibodies against the EBV. I am not a doctor, but had a very bad run-in with mono back in college (badly enlarged spleen, too), so you should check with your family doctor for REAL medical advice.
 
I can tell you from personal experience that it is possible to have it twice. I had it late in '01 and had it in June of '08. There is a common misconception that you cannot get it more than once. Do some searching around on the web and there is plenty of misinformation about only being able to contract it once. Each time I had it I was tested specifically for it. The last time at my request since the symptoms seemed a bit too familiar.
 
I have also had it several times over the past 2 decades. So the answer is yes, you can have it more then once.
 
Ok thank you for the information. I thought I was immunized to it. I don't have a personal doctor where I live but I could go to see a doctor anyway. I hope I can't infect other people. Incredibly I was living with my girlfriend when I got ill and kissed her many times. She didn't get mononucleosis.