1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it possible to construct a sequence like this?

1. Sep 26, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Is it possible to construct a sequence like this? If yes, please construct one, if not, give a proof. See the attached pic for requirements for the sequence to be constructed.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know how to construct a sequence that has subsequences that converge to a finite number of limits, such as:
    1, -1, 1, -1, ...
    1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, ...

This problem brings the sine function to my mind, but since R is uncountable, it's not possible to build a sequence that contains terms that has a 1-1 correspondence with sin(x).

I might as well ask: what is the cardinality of [tex]N \times N [/tex]?
    [tex] card N \times N = card N ? [/tex]
    In that case I could just repeat the sequence {1, 1/2, 1/3, ...} over and over again.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2010 #2
    I don't know what you are referring to when you talk about the sine function considering the sequence in question only takes of rational numbers; which are countable.

Anyway, NxN has the same cardinality has N.
  4. Sep 26, 2010 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can't just stick it after itself over and over again

isn't a sequence. Which natural number does the second 1 correspond to? You essentially need to find a bijection between N and NxN in order to write down the sequence you want
  5. Sep 28, 2010 #4
    If NxN has the same cardinality has N, then by definition there is a bijection between N and NxN.
  6. Sep 28, 2010 #5
    There are many of them.

In fact, a one to one function on N would do.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook