Is it possible to create a Positron - Electron cooper pair?

• Thread starter jniehus
  • Start date
Hello,

Would it be possible for an electron and positron to form a cooper pair if an electron is brought into the neighborhood of the positron who is anchored in a penning trap (or in some other fashion)?

If normal cooper pairs form by using the the attractive force of the lattice deformation, does that mean the electron and positrons own opposite charges can act as the catalyst to form this state?

If that is possible, would the pair turn into a 'boson' or become charge neutral and fall apart? If they keep their "local charge" (so the positron stays in the penning trap) but still is treated as a boson, would you be able to carry how ever many positrons you wanted in a single trap since they are 'bosons' now?

Thanks,
Josh

PS I'm a newbie so I apologize if this question seems a little bit naive

Answers and Replies

Not sure I fully understand, but the positron and electron have opposite charge and are naturally attracted to each other, why would they need lattice deformation to accomplish this? A cooper pair forms because, due to lattice deformation in a metal, the electrons can be brought closer to each other than normal, so that the energy between them is lower than the Fermi Energy, implying the pair is bound, but for an electron-positron pair, this attraction is natural, so it wouldn't be a Cooper pair by definition.

Hi soothsayer,

Thanks for your reply, that cleared things up.

Josh

DrDu
Science Advisor
Bound states of electrons and positrons are known as positroniums.
Analogous bound states of electron hole pairs in semiconductors are called excitons.
In the case of excitons, Bose Einstein condensation has been observed experimentally.