1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it possible to define this bijection?

1. Apr 11, 2014 #1
    I'd like to know if it is possible to define a bijection between the sets [itex][0,1]^{\mathbb{Z}}[/itex] and [itex][0,1]^{\mathbb{N}}[/itex]; [itex]\mathbb{N}^{\mathbb{N}}[/itex] and [itex]\mathbb{Z}^{\mathbb{Z}}[/itex].

I tried to define a bijection between [itex][0,1]^\mathbb{N}[/itex] and [itex][0,1]^\mathbb{Z}[/itex] as follows: Take the bijection [itex]g:\mathbb{Z}\to\mathbb{N}[/itex] defined by [itex]g(n)=\begin{cases}2n,&n\geq 0 \\ -(2n+1), & n<0 \end{cases}[/itex]. Now let [itex]F[/itex] be the function from [itex][0,1]^{\mathbb{Z}}[/itex] to [itex][0,1]^\mathbb{N}[/itex] given by [itex]F(f)=(f\circ g^{-1})[/itex].
    Proving injectivity: Suppose [itex]F(f_1)=F(f_2)[/itex], I tried to show that [itex]f_1=f_2[/itex] as follows: [itex]F(f_1)=F(f_2)\implies (f_1\circ g^{-1})=(f_2 \circ g^{-1})[/itex] then for every [itex]x\in\mathbb{Z}[/itex] we have [itex]f_1(g^{-1}(x))=f_2(g^{-1}(x)) \forall x\in \mathbb{Z}[/itex], since [itex]g[/itex] defines a bijection then must be [itex]f_1=f_2[/itex].

I'm not sure how to prove surjectivy, so instead of do so, I defined [itex]h:\mathbb{Z}\to\mathbb{N}; h(n)=\begin{cases}-n/2,&\text{if n even} \\ (n+1)/2, &\text{otherwise} \end{cases}[/itex] and define [itex]D:[0,1]^{\mathbb{N}}\to [0,1]^{\mathbb{Z}}[/itex] by [itex]D(f)=(f\circ h^{-1}[/itex]. Now the same procedure as above would show that [itex]D[/itex] is an injection from [itex][0,1]^{\mathbb{N}}[/itex] to [itex][0,1]^{\mathbb{Z}}[/itex], and since the function [itex]F[/itex] defined an injection from [itex][0,1]^{\mathbb{N}}[/itex] to [itex][0,1]^\mathbb{Z}[/itex] is possible to define a bijection between the two sets.
    Is this proof ok?.

Now for [itex]\mathbb{N}^{\mathbb{N}}[/itex] and [itex]\mathbb{Z}^{\mathbb{Z}}[/itex], I believe that the functions I defined above ([itex]F,D[/itex]) would work as well changing the domain and codomain of the functions, am I right?.

Edit: Can someone move this cuestion to the homework forum?. I posted in the wrong forum :(

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2014 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes. This is perfectly ok.

It is not necessary, but you might still want to be interested in showing ##F## to be bijection. To do so, take ##h\in [0,1]^\mathbb{N}##. You wish to find a function ##f\in [0,1]^\mathbb{Z}## such that ##F(f) = h##. This means that ##f\circ g^{-1} = h##. So choose ##f = h\circ g##, this will work (show it).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted