Is it possible to find areas between three or more curves

In summary, the conversation discusses the Riemann mapping theorem and how to decompose and integrate discontinuous functions. It also mentions finding the intersection points of different areas and using piecewise integration to find the bounded area. It is noted that this may require breaking up the region into multiple integrals.
madah12
I looked in my james stewart book and didn't find any thing helpful about that and google didn't give me any useful results so is it possible and how to?

Physics news on Phys.org
madah12 said:
I looked in my james stewart book and didn't find any thing helpful about that and google didn't give me any useful results so is it possible and how to?

The Riemann mapping theorem states that if a region is simple, then there exists a valid transformation to a rectangle.

What might be easier is to to look at the different areas and decompose them in the same way that you would decompose functions if you had a discontinuous function and wanted to integrate.

Take the following example:

f(x) = (x + 1)^2 if x < 0, 2 if 0 <= x <= 1, and x^3 if x > 1

If you were to find the integral you would break it up into three parts and integrate each part.

Do basically the same thing which would look something like this:

1) Find the intersection points of your areas
2) With each intersection find the appropriate expressions that bound the area for that section
3) Do a piecewise integration to get the bounded area

Hope that helps!

I'm nor sure exactly what you mean. Do you mean a region bounded by more than two curves? This is possible, but it often requires breaking the region up into several integrals. This is because a "slice" of the function parallel to the y-axis will only pass through two of the functions (assuming that we are dealing with standard 1:1 functions here). So the integral is the difference between the two functions in 2 dimensions.

This may be a swing and a miss reply, however, so please add some more information if this answer is non-responsive to the situations you are talking about.

Best of luck!

1. Can there be multiple areas between three or more curves?

Yes, it is possible to have multiple areas between three or more curves. This occurs when the curves intersect at different points, creating separate enclosed regions.

2. How do you calculate the area between three or more curves?

The area between three or more curves can be calculated by breaking it down into smaller, simpler shapes such as rectangles, triangles, and trapezoids. The sum of these smaller areas will give the total area between the curves.

3. Is it possible to find the area between curves that do not intersect?

Yes, it is possible to find the area between curves that do not intersect. In this case, the area would be considered as the difference between the two curves, with the lower curve acting as the base and the upper curve acting as the top of the region.

4. Are there any mathematical formulas for finding the area between three or more curves?

Yes, there are mathematical formulas that can be used to find the area between three or more curves. These include the Riemann sum, the trapezoidal rule, and Simpson's rule. However, these methods may not always be accurate and may require advanced mathematical knowledge.

5. Can the area between three or more curves be negative?

No, the area between three or more curves cannot be negative. It is always considered as a positive value, representing the actual physical area enclosed by the curves. If the result of the calculation is negative, it means that the curves were incorrectly labeled or the calculation was done incorrectly.