1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it possible to find this without knowing it? (ingredients in bleach)

1. Jan 21, 2016 #1

TT0

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An active ingredient in common household bleach solutions is most likely to be which of the following?

A)NaCl
    B)NaClO
    C)NaHCO3
    D)Na2SO4
    E)HC2H3O2

2. Relevant equations
    -

3. The attempt at a solution
    So bleach is a cleaning agent and most cleaning agents are basic so then the salt needs to be a basic salt (so formed from a weak acid). This eliminates A and D. E won't be it cause it is a weak acid. This leaves B and C. The weak acid is hypochlorous acid and carbonic acid respectively. But I can't choose between the 2. I only found out by googling bleach. Is there a way to solve it or do you just need to know that bleach contains sodium hypochlorite?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2016 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Hint: the way bleach works is it oxidizes everything.

4. Jan 21, 2016 #3

TT0

I am guessing that ClO- is a better oxidising agent than HCO3- but I am not sure why...or how it helps me solve the problem...

5. Jan 22, 2016 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Nothing to guess here - hypochlorite is highly reactive, after all its properties are related to chlorine with which it is in equilibrium:

Cl2 + H2O ↔ HOCl + HCl

Carbonic acid is just a weak acid, without oxidizing properties.

Well, question asks for

so a strong oxidizer sounds much better than an anemic acid, doesn't it?

6. Jan 22, 2016 #5

TT0

Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted