Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it possible to grow up to be a popular person?

1. wealthness

7.7%
  2. attractiveness

11.5%
  3. authority and power

3.8%
  4. attitude

38.5%
  5. knowledge and education

3.8%
  6. wisdom and intelligece

7.7%
  7. sence of humour

7.7%
  8. its something someone is born with

7.7%
  9. other

11.5%
  1. Aug 24, 2007 #1
    There are some people who are respected, loved, and cared for by almost anyone. Is there any mystery behind that? Is it possible to grow up to be a popular person? If there are ways for that and you are aware of them please share them with me. Dont forget to explain your reasons for your choice!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2007 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yikes, careful with the spelling! Sometimes small mistakes don't matter, but sometimes they do. If Zidane is reading this thread ...

4. Aug 24, 2007 #3
    the very first attempt for hijacking my thread? c'me on! the listener must be wise. its clear that's who are not whore. and what made zidande furious wasnt a typo nor a misunderstanding. it was a swear. the guy has told him "i prefer your sister" in response to zidane's question which was " do you want my shirt?"

5. Aug 24, 2007 #4

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

:rofl::rofl:

People who are attractive are also perceived to be smart unless they're just so dumb that there's no denying it. In other words, most attractive people aren't perceived to be of average intelligence - they're perceived as being either very smart or very dumb.

6. Aug 24, 2007 #5
    attractiveness could be a reason for popularity even for men? does that work for impressing anyone or only opposite sex? :confused:

7. Aug 24, 2007 #6

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It works for both, but more so for women. In fact, if you start comparing pairs of men/women, the attractiveness of the woman a man is with is more significant than the attractiveness of the man when people form first impressions of the man.

The Effects of Attractiveness on Popularity

Granted, their own experiment was conducted in a bar, which probably has an impact on the results of their experiment, but they also cite some other studies which support the idea that popularity is directly related to attractiveness.

Of course, not only did they observe how many times a person was approached by someone else in the bar, they also observed how many times a person approached someone else. Attractive people are more likely to approach other people which can definitely affect a person's popularity.

It might be true that attitude is the most important determinant of whether a person is popular and the main impact of attractiveness is on the person's own self-esteem and confidence. An attractive person who's afraid to talk to people isn't going to be very popular.

8. Aug 24, 2007 #7

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I wish I knew. Popularity is as elusive to me as courage to the Cowardly Lion or a heart to the Tin Man.

But I think one word missing from the list is charisma.

9. Aug 24, 2007 #8
    Confidence. Pretty much everyone in my entire dorm invites me places and says hey to me while walking past. My dorm has around 120 people. It's insane how many people will go out of their way to talk to me or chill with me now. I'm just confident and say something to everyone who walks by me (in my dorm at least...). There are a few of us like this in my dorm, and the only correlation is confidence. This causes people to start talking to you, and also for you to start talking to them. When someone is walking by with their head down and bad posture, nobody will say anything to them (lol I say "hey, what's up?" to those people sometimes, but they rarely respond).

EDIT: Lol, I think I may have sounded like jasonrox right there.

10. Aug 24, 2007 #9
    If you're not popular, Dave, it's because you're not exploiting your drawing skills in the right way.

First, get out your sketchbook and get a good drawing started. Once it's well along and looking good, find a cafe in your vicinity with a lot of customers. Get a cup of coffee, or whatever, and sit in there with your sketchbook working on the drawing. Pick a table where you're quite visible: don't hide in a corner. It will be apparent to you almost instantly that people are interested: they'll be glancing over at the drawing, and slowing down as they pass the table to check it out.

Now and then it will be apparent that someone is really interested: they especially hesitate and linger. You can look up and acknowledge them, even say "Hi." That usually precipitates a conversation.

It's a good idea to go to the restroom often leaving the drawing out in full view on the table for more shy people to stroll over and get a better look at it. Later they will often come over and say "I noticed your sketch earlier. That's really cool. You do this for a living?" or some such.

There's no end to the amount of exposure you'll get, the number of people you'll meet, and new friends you'll make. People like artists just cause they're artists. Just seeing you sitting there drawing will prejudice them in your favor.

11. Aug 24, 2007 #10

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The reasons for popularity change dramatically from middle school up through adulthood. In middle school, being physically attractive is usually enough; being physically attractive and funny is almost a guarantee.

As you get older, people start realizing that stability, intellect, accomplishment, and kindness are much more valuable traits. In my experience, the most popular adults are those who are genuine, interesting, and go out of their way to take care of the people around them. I don't mean they play Mother Hen -- they just always notice when someone needs a kind word, and say it.

- Warren

12. Aug 24, 2007 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've gone through phases where I've been popular, and others when I become very isolated. In the end I find that the more I'm true I am to myself, the less popular I am.

I think the problem is that social skills require effort, and in most situations I don't care to make the effort any more. I don't mean to say that I'm unfriendly, but I usually have one eye on my watch. I only care to be popular among the people who really matter to me.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2007
  13. Aug 24, 2007 #12

DaveC426913

Gold Member

But popularity isn't about making acquaintances, it's about keepnig them. Moreso, it's about other people wanting to hang with you.

In my next life I will choose to follow sports - whether I like it or not. I know of few other more universally accepted ways for men to interact.

14. Aug 24, 2007 #13
    Dave, this strategy acomplishes just that. They keep coming back, and they bring friends. There are times so many people want to sit down and draw with me I have to turn some away:

[​IMG]

This particular batch grew to unweildy, annoying proportions over time. A group of 15 of them showed up to draw. There was no place for them all to sit.

15. Aug 24, 2007 #14
    The answer is the right combination of all your options, so I will chose none of them.

16. Aug 24, 2007 #15
    Being true to yourself usually involves knowing where you stand on important issues. Popular people instinctively avoid bringing people's attention to important issues that might get them concerned, worried, or fretful. They're all about feeling good.

17. Aug 24, 2007 #16

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I am lucky to be married to a woman with a gift for social skills; ironically she's also full of several social paranoias and anxieties. It's an odd combination. But her social skills can be summed up with a simple lesson she taught me 15 years ago:

"Take a healthy interest in other people's doings!"

In other words, be interested in the people you are with (key word is "healthy," don't be obsessive). People who get to know my wife go out of their way to do things with/for her. e.g. after each of our 3 kids were born, her group of friends organized themselves to provide over a weeks worth of home cooked meals. All three times! No shake n bake here, Each tried to out do the other. I've never eaten so well.

She doesn't pretend, she doesn't try to be someone she's not, she simply expresses happiness when seeing someone she likes, and prompts people to talk about themselves, and engages in intelligent conversation. For some it is effortless.

Oh yeah, remember people's names. that helps.

18. Aug 24, 2007 #17
    It's funny---I was the first one to vote for 'wisdom and intelligece (sic)' on a forum where that is, I thought would be, considered important.

(isn't Einstein, Maxwell, etc. popular?)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2007
  19. Aug 25, 2007 #18
    Other - "Social Skills"... duh?

20. Aug 25, 2007 #19
    This seems to come up once in a while---are there more options for 'polling'? (giving the person ability to 'rank' the choices --like 1st, 2nd, 3rd... or percentage)?

21. Aug 25, 2007 #20
    see what the queen of loung has done to my first post:!!)
    evo why have you changed cared to care for? what i wanted to say was the situation where anyone care about what someone says or does. isnt care for use for the situation when you take care of someone????

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?