Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Do You Know Why Trump is Popular?

1. Jan 11, 2016 #1

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If so, can you 'splain it all to me? No one expected Trump to last.

Most thought that he'd be gone faster than a toupee in a hurricane.

Yet here we are, just weeks from the Iowa caucus -- AND HE'S STILL HERE. Real Clear Politics has Trump and Cruz tied in Iowa (27% each, but it remains to be seen whose supporters will actually turn out to vote). We're all aware that opinion polls and votes are different - but that's OK, because I'm specifically asking about Trump's popularity.

My question is to people who follow US politics: How do you explain Trump's support? What's going on there? The pundits struggle to explain it, which you probably already know if you follow US politics. No denying it: there are people out there who really LOVE the guy. Why? I'm especially interested in what PF conservatives think.

Please read this next part before posting!

All PFers who follow the Current Events forum should know by now how we feel about posting opinions here: you can post your opinion as long as you clearly understand that other people - good, kind, generous, honest, lovely people - may hold the opposite opinion. Adamantly.

So in this thread I'm asking for your opinion - yes you! you good, kind, generous, honest, lovely person, and I ask that you maintain respect for all of us good, kind, generous, honest, lovely people who are posting alongside you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2016 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

He tells it like it is; not what you or I would like.

4. Jan 11, 2016 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I'd never vote for him, but I do love that he drives liberals in/and the media nuts. Delicious irony.

Conservatives feel like oppressed minorities. Obama doesn't govern for us, he governs against us. The media doesn't report the news for us, it reports the news against us. Trump lashes out/back at that and for many, that's enough to be attractive.

That, and Trump is really the only one with name recognition and a serious high profile. The others split the more moderate vote and Trump gets a large majority of the more right wing.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  5. Jan 11, 2016 #4

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I understand that sentiment, having been on the other side of it when Bush was President.

But are you worried that Trump's popularity makes the GOP nomination process look like a reality-show circus, and that in turn makes the GOP look bad? (My opinion: I think it really does.)

6. Jan 11, 2016 #5

russ_watters

But did Bush ever tell you he wasn't on your side?
    Yes. He can't do long-term damage, but he can cause the GOP to lose the Presidential election. At this point - though I'm still going to say I'd bet against it - there is a real possibility of him winning the nomination. That worries me because I think Hillary is beatable, but not by him.

7. Jan 11, 2016 #6

fresh_42

Is there ANY of the GOP candidates who isn't completely nuts? Haven't seen one.

8. Jan 11, 2016 #7

russ_watters

That's not a very rational thing to say.

9. Jan 11, 2016 #8
    He's basically being vocal with the opinions of many people, no matter how outright wrong they may be.

10. Jan 11, 2016 #9

fresh_42

That is why I don't hear rational statements of them. The saddest thing about it is, that the best candidate means half a century of Bush government for the US. I made one of those tests where you can find out which candidate fits best to you. And I promise I answered the questions considering what I think is best for the USA. The winner wasn't among the GOP candidates.

11. Jan 11, 2016 #10

russ_watters

I'm not surprised, but if you can't see anything besides "nuts" from the other side, I submit that you aren't giving the ideas due consideration and perhaps more importantly, respect.

12. Jan 11, 2016 #11

fresh_42

Sorry, did you say respect? Whom? Trump's Mexican wall? Cruz' divine and changing inspirations or Carson's sights that always make you ask how in hell did he become a neurologist. Their fear of gay people? Their position on guns? On planned parenthood? Their trend to start a war? Who's been last that didn't? Nixon? Sorry, again. I'm not drunk enough.

13. Jan 12, 2016 #12

Dotini

Gold Member

I'm a sort of conservative - I wear both belt and suspenders, and I've voted libertarian for the last 4 presidential elections. I will be happy to explain why Trump is loved by many.

IMO, the simplest answer is that he is for peace and prosperity; all the others are for more conflict and war, and for the continued transfer of US jobs to foreigners.

Slightly more complicated is his charisma. His energy, confidence, size, swagger, wealth, whatever it is, appeals strongly to many men and women.

14. Jan 12, 2016 #13

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Could someone from the US perhaps provide me with a link to an independent vote match test for your upcoming presidential elections that includes all (most?) active Republican, Democrat and, possibly, other candidates? Is https://www.isidewith.com/ a reliable choice? Of course I can't vote, but purely for my own curiosity I would like to see what I get.

15. Jan 12, 2016 #14
    Your link is actually very good. I have done it, and I'm too young to vote,

16. Jan 12, 2016 #15

Evo

The thread is reopened. To answer false accusations made, Dale thought the thread was fine and would be fine with re-opening it, he was on duty at the time the report came in requesting the thread be closed, so closed it temporarily while the mentors discussed it. That is normal policy. Any member wishing information on a closed thread can ask the mentor.

I agreed to allow lisab to start a thread about people's opinions on Trump since she was curious why he is so popular. If you state facts, you must provide an approved source, if your opinions include facts that are not widely publicized, you must include approved sources. If you are asked to provide sources to clarify a statement, you must provide them.

You may not discuss other candidates, this thread is about Trump.

17. Jan 12, 2016 #16

fresh_42

This is also the one I've made.

18. Jan 12, 2016 #17
    Let's not make generalizations on conservatives. I happen to be a republican, and I am a leader in my school's GSA (gay straight alliance). I couldn't dream of a reason I would (if I were old enough) vote for Trump, Cruz, Carson, Huckabee or Santorum. They do not understand the separation of church and state and the separation of crazy people and government (which does need to be a thing). Look at what conservative leaders say about Trump. Paul Ryan? Dick Chaney? There are few people more conservative than them, and neither likes Trump. IMO, Trump is a fascist, not a conservative.

19. Jan 12, 2016 #18
    And to be clear, I am not trying to be offensive to anyone who likes Trump. I do respect all opinions, so I'm sorry if my post is taken to be offensive, it was not meant that way.

20. Jan 12, 2016 #19

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

russ, I find it interesting that you feel that conservatives in the US feel like oppressed minorities, given the following:

1. Republicans currently have control of both houses of Congress (and had control of the House of Representatives since 2010).

2. The Republicans had control of the White House under George W. Bush for two terms, with the Republicans having effective control of both houses of Congress for much of the first term.

3. Obama, in my opinion, isn't really that much of a liberal. For example, the Affordable Care Act (often referred to as "Obamacare", for which Obama is often credited to bringing into law) is largely based on similar legislation instituted within the state of Massachussetts by then-Governor Mitt Romney, a Republican, and the basic concepts of which were proposed by the conservative Heritage Foundation. Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patient_Protection_and_Affordable_Care_Act#Background

4. Fox News reports the news specifically for conservatives.

21. Jan 12, 2016 #20

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

lisab, to answer your question as to why Trump is so popular, my own personal opinion is that there is a tremendous degree of anger, frustration and dissatisfaction within the US, due in part to the tremendous toll that the Great Recession of 2008 had taken on the economy, which had taken years to recover from.

Furthermore, many are incredibly frustrated on the degree to which wealthy donors and special interest groups have influenced American politics through their enormous contributions to the election campaigns of politicians at both the federal and (to a lesser extent) the state level to pay for political advertising, which has further been exacerbated by the Supreme Court Decision on Citizens United which stated that corporations had the same free speech rights as individuals, giving unprecedented ability for such special interests to give more and more money.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizens_United_v._FEC#Majority_opinion

Due to the above, I suspect that many in the US feel they really can't trust any of the potential candidates (either Democratic or Republican) to really represent the interests of the people, thus giving ammunition for a candidate like Trump (who is wealthy enough not to need to fund his campaign through donations in the same way as other candidates) to make outrageous remarks that channel a lot of that anger and frustration at various scapegoats (e.g. immigrants). This must be refreshing for people out there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook