Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it possible to let limit multiplication rule not be exist?

1. Oct 8, 2012 #1
    We have known that:
    lim f(x)g(x) = lim f(x) * lim g(x)

Could any conditions or limitations make: lim f(x)g(x) ≠ lim f(x) * lim g(x)?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2012 #2

MarneMath

Education Advisor

Writing out the proof really quickly, I don't see what kind of limitation or conditions can make this not true. Perhaps if you proved it, you would see why this is always true?

Edit: Based on micro post, I did the terrible mistake of assuming you meant that the x approached the same a and both limits exist.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  4. Oct 8, 2012 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

No, this is not known. And this is not even true. You need to be very careful with statements like this. The correct statement is that

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow a} f(x)g(x)=\lim_{x\rightarrow a} f(x) \lim_{x\rightarrow a} g(x)[/tex]

if both limits [itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow a} f(x)[/itex]and [itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow a} g(x)[/itex] exist and equal a real number.

If we allow the limits to become infinite, then the rule does not hold anymore. For example, it is not true that

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} \frac{x^2}{x^2}=\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} x^2 \lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{1}{x^2}[/tex]

since the limit [itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{1}{x^2}[/itex] is not a real number (but rather [itex]+\infty[/itex]).

You need to be very careful in mathematics to always give the exact statements and conditions in which something holds.

5. Oct 8, 2012 #4
    Big Thanks to micromass and MarneMath, both of you bestead me a lot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook