Proof that limit of difference of infinite limits is indeterminate

In that sense I think the OP was mistaken in calling it "indeterminant". It is just "indeterminate" (which I believe is the correct term)....In summary, the limit of the difference of two functions, f(x) and g(x), as x approaches a, cannot be proven to be a particular value using the epsilon-delta formulation. This is because the limit may vary depending on the choice of functions and fails to satisfy the statement that any value assigned to the limit would consistently follow the algebraic limit theorem. Instead, it is considered an indeterminate form, meaning that it behaves poorly with respect to the algebraic limit theorem. This is demonstrated by examples of different pairs of functions with the same limit values at a certain
swampwiz
(NOTE: I have had a few similar postings lately on this subject, but they were much broader in scope, so I am posting only for this particular case; everything else has been figured out.)

If given that

limx -> a f( x ) = +∞

limx -> a g( x ) = +∞

what is the epsilon-delta formulation for the proof

limx -> a [ f( x ) - g( x ) ] is INDETERMINANT

?

Physics news on Phys.org
No. It is not indeterminate, it is indeterminable.

swampwiz said:
(NOTE: I have had a few similar postings lately on this subject, but they were much broader in scope, so I am posting only for this particular case; everything else has been figured out.)

If given that

limx -> a f( x ) = +∞

limx -> a g( x ) = +∞

?
What you need are examples of functions ##f,g## where the limit of the difference varies. You don't "prove" that sort of thing, per se, you find examples which differ in some key respect.

To add to what @PeroK said, different pairs of functions can have very different limit values. For example, consider these three limits:
##f(x) = \frac 1 x## and ##g(x) = \frac 1 {x^2}##, and ##\lim_{x \to 0^+}f(x) - g(x)##
##f(x) = \frac 1 {x^2}## and ##g(x) = \frac 1 x##, and ##\lim_{x \to 0^+}f(x) - g(x)##
##f(x) = \frac 1 x## and ##g(x) = \frac 1 x##, and ##\lim_{x \to 0^+}f(x) - g(x)##
To evaluate a limit using the definition of a limit (i.e., ##\delta, \epsilon##), you have to have some idea in advance about whether the limit is finite or not.

I don’t think a limit can be called indeterminate in and of itself. An “indeterminate form” according to Wikipedia is just a kind of expression obtained from a limit that behaves badly with respect to the algebraic limit theorem. In this case one does not say that ##\lim_{x\rightarrow a}\,(f(x)-g(x))## is indeterminate, but the expression obtained from $$\left(\lim_{x\rightarrow a}f(x)\right)-\left(\lim_{x\rightarrow a}g(x)\right)$$is an indeterminate form (the form being ##\infty-\infty##). Depending on the choice of ##f## and ##g## one might get different results for ##\lim_{x\rightarrow a}(f(x)-g(x))##, which means that we can’t uniquely define the (possibly infinite) value of an indeterminate form.

One could formalize this by showing any extended real number ##L\in[-\infty,\infty]## which we assign to ##\infty-\infty## fails to satisfy the following statement: $$(\forall f,g:\mathbb{R^R})(\forall a\in[-\infty,\infty])\lim_{x\rightarrow a}f(x)=\lim_{x\rightarrow a}g(x)=\infty\Rightarrow\lim_{x\rightarrow a}\left(f(x)-g(x)\right)=L.$$ This is a statement that essentially means we can consistently assign the value L to ##\infty-\infty##, such that the algebraic limit theorem holds. To say that no value of L satisfies the statement means that for any value of L, there are functions ##f,g## which diverge to ##\infty## at some point ##x=a## such that ##\lim_{x\rightarrow a}(f(x)-g(x))\neq L##. In other words, any attempt to define ##\infty-\infty## is inconsistent with the algebraic limit theorem.

Last edited:
I am definitely more of a physics person than a math person, and I don't know if there is a name for the following approach, but the following makes sense to me as a proof (when formalized) that the type of limit proposed in the OP is indeterminate.

First consider f(x), g(x) where both have finite limits on approach to 0 (no loss of generality assuming zero), say L1 and L2, respectively. Then, it can be shown that for f(x)-g(x), for any epsilon around L1-L2, there is a delta such the every pair of x values within delta of zero produces f(x)-g(x) within epsilon of L1-L2.

In contrast, for any pair of functions f(x), g(x) such that each has infinite limit on approach to zero (including a case where f(x), g(x) are the same function e.g. 1/x), then the following is true:
for any delta around zero, there are pairs of points within that delta that produce any value value in (-∞,+∞) for f(x)-g(x).

That is, by allowing different points for evaluation of f and g, one sees a fundamental difference between a well defined limit and total indeterminacy.

I was able to finagle this expression into something that has a 0/0 term, which of course is the very essence of indeterminancy.

U = limx -> a f( x ) = +∞

V = limx -> a g( x ) = +∞

limx -> a ( [ ef( x ) ]-1 ) = 0

limx -> a ( [ eg( x ) ]-1 ) = 0

h( x ) = f( x ) - g( x )

limx -> a h( x ) = limx -> a [ ln ( e{ f( x ) - g( x ) } ) ]

= limx -> a { ln ( [ eg( x ) ]-1 / [ ef( x ) ]-1 ) }

= ln { limx -> a ( [ eg( x ) ]-1 / [ ef( x ) ]-1 ) }

= ln ( { limx -> a [ eg( x ) ]-1 } / { limx -> a [ ef( x ) ]-1 } )

limx -> a h( x ) = - ln [ { 0 } / { 0 } ] -> INDETERMINATE FORM

Last edited:
PAllen said:
In contrast, for any pair of functions f(x), g(x) such that each has infinite limit on approach to zero (including a case where f(x), g(x) are the same function e.g. 1/x), then the following is true:
for any delta around zero, there are pairs of points within that delta that produce any value value in (-∞,+∞) for f(x)-g(x).

That is, by allowing different points for evaluation of f and g, one sees a fundamental difference between a well defined limit and total indeterminacy.

I can't say I'm convinced by this.

They key point is that the indeterminacy of the limit of ##f(x)- g(x)## in the case where ##\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} f(x) = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} g(x) = +\infty## is shown by various examples. You can, of course, justify why counterexamples can be found; but, this is different from the techniques of a direct proof of something.

You might try to prove that
$$\lim_{x \rightarrow 0}(f(x) - g(x)) = 0$$
and fail to do this. But, you are not going to be able to show in general that
$$\lim_{x \rightarrow 0}(f(x) - g(x)) \ne 0$$
The limit might be ##0## and it might not be ##0##.

More fundamentally, you might try to prove that the limit of ##f(x) - g(x)## exists (as an extended real number), but again you would find that you are unable to do this. The limit might exist and it might not. And, again, the proof of this is to find examples of both cases. If, for example:
$$f(x) = \frac{1}{|x|}, \ g(x) = \frac{1}{|x|} + \sin(\frac 1 x )$$
Then
$$\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} (f(x) - g(x)) \ \text{does not exist}$$
That example is the proof that the limit may not exist.

Last edited:
Likes suremarc
If you mean that the difference between any two such functions is indeterminable then you have counterexamples like f(x)=2x and g(x)=3x whose limit exists and its infinity. Edit: for a more dramatic example consider a function and its Taylor series.

"If given that
limx -> a f( x ) = +∞
limx -> a g( x ) = +∞
"

If that's all you know, you cannot determine the limit: It is indeterminate.

But it may be perfectly well determined if you knew what functions f and g are.

E.g. suppose that for all real numbers x ≠ 0, f and g are defined by f(x) = 1/x and g(x) = 1/x + 7. Then the limit of f(x) as x → 0 exists and, as is easy to see, is equal to -7.

zinq said:
"If given that
limx -> a f( x ) = +∞
limx -> a g( x ) = +∞
"

If that's all you know, you cannot determine the limit: It is indeterminate.

But it may be perfectly well determined if you knew what functions f and g are.

E.g. suppose that for all real numbers x ≠ 0, f and g are defined by f(x) = 1/x and g(x) = 1/x + 7. Then the limit of f(x) as x → 0 exists and, as is easy to see, is equal to -7.
Except that ##\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac 1 x \ne +\infty##, as the limit does not exist.

Likes fresh_42
Sorry, PeroK, I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying that, because limx→0 1/x is not a real number, that the limit does not exist? Or rather that as x approaches 0, 1/x gets close to infinity only in absolute value? Maybe I should have used either limx→0+ 1/x, or else limx→0 1/x2 ? I hope that takes care of it.

zinq said:
Sorry, PeroK, I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying that, because limx→0 1/x is not a real number, that the limit does not exist? Fair enough. Should I have used either limx→0+ 1/x, or else limx→0 1/x2 ? Okay, I should have used one of those.

$$\lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+} \frac 1 x = +\infty$$
$$\text{and} \ \lim_{x \rightarrow 0^-} \frac 1 x = -\infty $$

Likes fresh_42
In other words, Yes.

zinq said:
In other words, Yes.

In other words, the two-sided limit does not exist. And, it was two-sided limits that were under analysis.

zinq said:
If given that
limx -> a f( x ) = +∞
limx -> a g( x ) = +∞
Your examples below don't agree with the given information. As already noted, ##\lim_{x \to 0} f(x)## and ##\lim_{x \to 0} g(x)## don't exist. The left- and right-side limits are as different as they could possibly be.
zinq said:
.g. suppose that for all real numbers x ≠ 0, f and g are defined by f(x) = 1/x and g(x) = 1/x + 7. Then the limit of f(x) as x → 0 exists and, as is easy to see, is equal to -7.
This example shows that it's possible for ##\lim_{x \to 0}(f(x) - g(x)## to exist even though the limits of the individual functions don't exist.

Just to be clear, I am not considering the case in which the 2 sides of the limit don't match (such as x-1 @ 0); I am only considering a single-side limit for such a case.

swampwiz said:
Just to be clear, I am not considering the case in which the 2 sides of the limit don't match (such as x-1 @ 0); I am only considering a single-side limit for such a case.
This doesn't matter. The answer to your questions has been given multiple times: You cannot draw conclusions, say, all imaginable outcomes have an example. There is no epsilontic in those cases, because epsilontic is only the analytic way to describe open neighborhoods. However, there is no open neighborhood around a point which does not exist! For infinite limits you must translate: "Increases beyond all barriers." and not invent a location at infinity. The question has been extensively answered, so it's time to close the thread.

Likes PeroK

Related to Proof that limit of difference of infinite limits is indeterminate

1. What is the definition of an indeterminate limit?

An indeterminate limit is a limit that cannot be determined by simply evaluating the function at the given value. It requires further analysis or manipulation of the function to determine the limit.

2. How is the limit of the difference of two infinite limits calculated?

The limit of the difference of two infinite limits is calculated by taking the limit of each individual function and then subtracting the two limits. This can be represented as lim(f(x) - g(x)) = lim(f(x)) - lim(g(x)).

3. Can the limit of the difference of two infinite limits be determined by evaluating the functions at infinity?

No, evaluating the functions at infinity will not determine the limit of the difference of two infinite limits. This is because infinity is not a number and cannot be used in the calculation of limits.

4. What is the significance of an indeterminate limit in mathematics?

An indeterminate limit is significant because it represents a situation where the value of the limit cannot be determined by a simple calculation. It often requires further analysis and can lead to important mathematical discoveries and theories.

5. Are there any other types of indeterminate limits besides the limit of the difference of two infinite limits?

Yes, there are other types of indeterminate limits, such as the limit of a quotient of two functions where both functions approach infinity or zero. These types of limits also require further analysis to determine their values.