Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it possible to OD on endorphins?

1. Apr 14, 2008 #1

ShawnD

Science Advisor

The word endorphin literally means "internal morphine". Morphine overdose happens all the time, so is it possible (not probable) for the brain to overdose itself into a coma?

I put this in the general area because it's more of a trivia question. Maybe somebody saw something on TV or heard from a friend of a friend....

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2008 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Would that be like laughing to death?

4. Apr 14, 2008 #3
    I don't think your body can produce enough to kill you. I'm *hoping* there is a shutoff switch when you get close to ODing, but more likely it just can't produce it fast enough.

5. Apr 14, 2008 #4

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I hope so! :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl:

I'm really trying. Not there yet. :biggrin:

6. Apr 14, 2008 #5

ShawnD

Science Advisor

Looks like they're unrelated

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_hilarity

Poop, the question of whether or not it can be produced fast enough is what interests me. I can't really find anything on google because the words overdose and endorphin always point to sites talking about overdose on heroin and how it's similar to endorphins. Similar ain't good enough!

7. Apr 14, 2008 #6
    Type "-heroin" with the quotes in your Google search.

8. Apr 14, 2008 #7
    I'd doubt it,I would imagine your body has some sort of negative feedback mechanism to make your body completely shutdown before you would OD on endogenous opiates.

9. Apr 14, 2008 #8
    Oh man, I love endorphins. I love climbing 4 or 5 thousand feet vertical and then feeling high as a kite the next day. It is the high of all highs. Wonderful.

10. Apr 14, 2008 #9
    It's like that time I had a level 14 Paladin who was fighting a pack of Wyverns. I was down to my last Wyvern and only 4 hit points left, Lay on Hands and all spells already used, but I managed to roll a natural 20 and get out in one piece!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?