Is it possible to OD on endorphins?

• Thread starter ShawnD
  • Start date
ShawnD
Science Advisor

Main Question or Discussion Point

The word endorphin literally means "internal morphine". Morphine overdose happens all the time, so is it possible (not probable) for the brain to overdose itself into a coma?

I put this in the general area because it's more of a trivia question. Maybe somebody saw something on TV or heard from a friend of a friend....

Answers and Replies

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Would that be like laughing to death?

I don't think your body can produce enough to kill you. I'm *hoping* there is a shutoff switch when you get close to ODing, but more likely it just can't produce it fast enough.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Is it possible to OD on endorphins?
I hope so! :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl:

I'm really trying. Not there yet. :biggrin:

ShawnD
Science Advisor
Looks like they're unrelated

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_hilarity
Death by fatal hilarity is usually brought about by two means:

Asphyxiation, from which the thoracic diaphragm can't expand or contract fully thus causing the inability to breathe correctly. One of the main processes of laughter involves the continuous expansion and contraction of the thoracic diaphragm, bringing in and releasing air into and from lungs. It is possible to overexert and strain this muscle to where it becomes too weakened to perform normally. Other lung conditions such as asthma, bronchitis, hypersensitivity pneumonitis, Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS), and many others may become agitated and contribute to death.

Heart failure, heart attack, and cardiac arrest are the most common of heart conditions that are likely to occur due to constant straining on the heart, ultimately preventing blood flow. As a person laughs, their heart rate increases above the normal ranges. However, as laughter continues, the heart rate may reach dangerous levels that the heart isn't accustomed to, straining and damaging it. Other heart conditions include coronary heart disease, cardiac arrhythmia, ischaemic heart disease, and others can also be affected.

Poop, the question of whether or not it can be produced fast enough is what interests me. I can't really find anything on google because the words overdose and endorphin always point to sites talking about overdose on heroin and how it's similar to endorphins. Similar ain't good enough!

Type "-heroin" with the quotes in your Google search.

I'd doubt it,I would imagine your body has some sort of negative feedback mechanism to make your body completely shutdown before you would OD on endogenous opiates.

Oh man, I love endorphins. I love climbing 4 or 5 thousand feet vertical and then feeling high as a kite the next day. It is the high of all highs. Wonderful.

It's like that time I had a level 14 Paladin who was fighting a pack of Wyverns. I was down to my last Wyvern and only 4 hit points left, Lay on Hands and all spells already used, but I managed to roll a natural 20 and get out in one piece!