• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Programs Is it possible to take grad math courses in a PhD physics program?

Program?

I am an Australian student, may think about studying in America (saw video of Andrew Dottson mentioning it), in the future. Is it possible to take grad maths courses, e.g. algebraic topology/geometry, complex analysis, representation-theory/lie-groups, PDEs, Measure Theory, Functional Analysis, algebra courses, more geometry/topology courses, ..., etc

Thanks,

Pendulum Swing

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Program?

I am an Australian student, may think about studying in America (saw video of Andrew Dottson mentioning it), in the future. Is it possible to take grad maths courses, e.g. algebraic topology/geometry, complex analysis, representation-theory/lie-groups, PDEs, Measure Theory, Functional Analysis, algebra courses, more geometry/topology courses, ..., etc

Thanks,

Pendulum Swing
That WOULD BE the point.

I did just that. Then I switched to applied math.

Choppy

Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Once you meet the standard coursework requirements of your PhD program, you more-or-less have the freedom to take any additional courses you want, provided (i) you're qualified to take them, (ii) your supervisor/supervisory committee is okay with it, and (iii) you have time to fit them in. For courses outside your department you will likely have to get permission to take them, but in my experience it's rare for interested and well-motivated students to be denied.

jtbell

Mentor
When I was a grad student in physics about 40 years ago at the U of Michigan, we were required to take at least two "cognate courses" outside the physics department. Most of us (including me) chose math courses. In my case they were complex analysis and intermediate differential equations.

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Usually a class or two is not a problem, although it depends on the department's policies (which usually depend on who and how tuition in these classes is paid for). But your list contains at least eleven classes. That is going to be a harder sell, unless you are paying for everything out of pocket.