Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Is it possible to travel between the multiverses?

1. Apr 20, 2017 #1
    Do you believe it's possible to travel between our world within a different multiverse? If so, how do you believe it happens/is possible (e.g. Will we invent specialized machines or are there certain points/places that act as portals?)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2017 #2
    I believe before we ask questions like this, we must first master our own universe. We don't even know if the multiverse theory is correct.

Although, it might be possible. albeit unlikely. Black holes are a possibility I suppose, but we would next a ship capable of the conditions.

4. Apr 20, 2017 #3
    It depends on what you mean by multiverse. there is not one multiverse theory, rather the multiverse is an idea that seems to come out of other theories like inflationary cosmology, brane world cosmologies, quantum many worlds etc.
    In the most popular multiverse ideas like inflation and the quantum many worlds it is not possible to travel from one world to other. In brane world cosmologies gravity can move across extra dimension and travel from one braneworld to the other.
    I dont know of any multiverse ideas that allow people to travel from one universe to another.
    Of course we dont know that there is a multiverse. It may that all the multiverse ideas out there are wrong so one needs to treat theres ideas with caution. but whilst they aren't confirmed science they are not just pure flights of fantasy either but do have some physical basis on modern physical theories that are taken seriously.

5. Apr 20, 2017 #4

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Multiverse hypotheses are too speculative at this point to be able to answer questions like this.

Thread closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook